Friday, July 10, 2009

PART EIGHT OF POST

WOULD JESUS BE WELCOME IN YOUR CHURCH TODAY--- PART EIGHT

July 10, 10:45 a.m.

This will be my fourth point in my five point message. To read all of them please go to the first point in "previous posts." As before, I am trying to write about some things that in many churches today are either not talked about... sacred cows... or they are treated rather lightly. Today's topic will be the latter of the two.
I ended my last post on my third point with a teaser about this topic and I stated that because this particular practice is not being promoted in very many churches today that a lot of prayer goes unanswered... and I firmly believe the lack of this practice is the reason why.
This subject matter is one of a handful of topics, that, at least for me, is sort of a head-scratcher. By that I mean that I do not fully understand "why" we are supposed to do it: however, my lack of understanding the "why" behind it is not a good enough reason not to do it.
Example: I don't really understand the Holy Trinity... though I believe it; and I know allegory and I can recite every example in nature that re-enforces the idea: apple, egg, etc. (Talk to me sometime and we will see how many of them we can recite together.) In its plural form I know what "breshit bara elohim" means, and I see the relationship to the three parts of man having been made, ... "after our likeness." (Genesis 1:26) So, I accept the Trinity of God without being able to fully comprehend it. I tell you that so that you might understand that even if you can't explain why we are supposed to practice what I write about today... we are still supposed to do it simply because the Bible says so!
I visited a church once in Altoona, Pennsylvania that had the best worship service of any church I have ever been in. To be fair though I was traveling and it was a one- time visit, so I could not say with 100% assurance that every service was like that one: but I suspect it was.
If you are wondering what kind of service it was... in reality it was little different than any of a couple of thousand other services I have been in over the last 20 years. The attitude of the people is what was so very different. This was an independent, fundamental, Baptist church with traditional Baptist (Bible) preaching. Yet, there was an excitement within the group that I can only describe as "expectant."
Later, because he was asked about it, the pastor of the church said that they started to grow as a church and the excitement level of the people grew from the first day their "church" (collectively) began a weekly day of fast. He said that Tuesday was their "fast" day. Now, as a person not doing this it was easy to joke and say, "I didn't know that Tuesday was any "faster" than Monday."
Now, don't get the wrong idea. I think their should be order in a church service... standing up and running around only calls attention to yourself and it takes from the importance of what is being preached. In this service not a single person got to their feet during the message, or ran around: in fact, not even a single handkercheif was waved in the air. But, when it was time to sing... everyone sang out! There were a lot of shouted "amens" during preaching, yet still respectful and in order. That is what I meant by in one sense it was little different than thousands of other services: yet, it was obvious there was still a difference.
The preacher said that, giving, attendance, visitation, and every other program their church had was better since they began their one day each week of fasting. I believe there is a reason for that, it is called... obeying God.
Now keep in mind that I am not even sure the reason behind why we are told to fast, but I do know that we are told to... and that should be enough. We are not even told how often we are supposed to do it, but just that we are supposed to be doing this.
There are many examples in the Bible of men doing this and even sometimes why they are fasting. Moses fasted for 40 days as he was being given the Tables of Stone from God. Then, after coming down from the mountain and seeing the people sinning before God, he brake the stones and went back to the mountaintop for another forty days of fasting... 80 days! (You will need to read Exodus chapters 19 through chapter 35 to see all of this.)
David, upon learning that his child was dying fasted and prayed to God for a seven day period. Upon learning that his child had died, he broke his fast... the need was no longer there: II Samuel 12:14-23.
Personally I try to sometimes fast only because I know it is right to do it... I also try not to break my fast, other than for the above reason... the need is no longer there. Example: June 14, 1986, on a Saturday I was praying and fasting that God would heal and raise up my mom: upon learning that she had died, I broke my fast... the reason for it was no longer there.
There are many examples in both Testaments that men (and women) are to fast. Even the Lord Jesus, before He began His public ministry fasted for a 40 day period. And all of the holy men of the day practiced seasons of fasting. Matthew 9:14-15 "Then came to him the disciples of John, saying, Why do we and the Pharisees fast oft, but thy disciples fast not? And Jesus said unto them, Can the children of the bridechamber mourn, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast."
I submit to you that we, those of us who are alive today, are in that time period when we are supposed to fast: "...then shall they fast."
Have you ever sincerely prayed for something or someone: fervently, ardently, with importunity, asking, seeking, pleading, etc. and to no avail? Have you ever done all of the above and coupled that with "fasting?"
You see, I can show you with Holy Scripture that certain prayers will not be answered by God, even if it is within His will to do so, unless fervent prayer is coupled with fasting!
Jesus had already given power to His disciples to cast out unclean spirits, heal the sick, etc. Yet, read carefully Matthew 17:14-21. Because I am not inclined to type that many verses, open your Bibles and read it for yourself! The story is that a man had brought his sick son to the disciples of Christ (who already had been given power to heal) and they could not heal the child. Of course, the Lord healed the child. Later, some of His disciples came to Christ and wanted to know why they were powerless with this particular child and (or) sickness? At first the Lord Jesus upbraids them for their lack of faith, but He also notes that there are special cases... the really hard ones that need something more. Matthew 17:21 "Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting." ....... but by prayer and fasting."
Keep in mind what Jesus had just done. In verse 18 the Lord rebuked the devil and the unclean spirit came out of the child. That is what He meant by "this kind goeth not out..."
Think about this: what "kind" do you think He was talking about? Of course it is the hard ones, maybe the seemingly impossible ones that are the "this kinds" of prayers which are needing to be answered. Do you have a loved one the devil has ensnared, who is lost, and in love with this world and sin... maybe they are a this kind? If they are worth praying for, are they not worth fasting for?
Again, I am not saying I understand why we are told to fast, only that we are. I have some ideas though. Maybe it is nothing more than Matthew 4:4a "... Man shall not live by bread alone..." Perhaps it is showing the heart of Job. Job 23:12b "I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food." Whatever the true reason for fasting: in this life I might never know, but that in no way absolves me from doing it.
Think about this: you could possibly go your entire life with a heartfelt prayer often lifted up to God going unanswered because you won't give up a cheeseburger every once in a while. Remember: there are the "this kinds" of the world that need more than a hurried prayer offered to God.
I would not even begin to tell you how to start fasting if you don't already practice it. I will tell you though that the Good Lord tells you in detail how not to fast, that is to only be seen of men. I believe the best individual fasts you will ever do will be like the best prayers you will ever offer: both are done in secret.

I can tell you with some assurance (if you are new to this practice) how not to begin! If you decide to start with a 40 day fast, my best guess is somewhere about the ninth day (after starting) those closest to you will be crying as they are laying you to rest in some cemetery. I do believe though that it would be easy for you to start with a meal, then two: then a day, then two: etc. Since there is not any specific time-periods given, it would be folly for me to try to establish any. So, I just say that the next time you are up against a "this kind" of prayer that needs to be answered: try coupling the request with fasting!
I also believe that if corporately, the church (which is a local body of New Testament believers gathered in a single location) would covenant together for a day each week, or if that seems too much for some, a period of eight hours in that day, etc. to pray and fast together that some good things would happen.
And let us take the other position for just a moment, since there are always naysayers who want to take the opposite position. Let us say that if after seasons of fasting, you did not see a difference: no more answered prayers than normal... no more souls saved than usual... the baptismal waters not stirred any more often than in the past... would that still be a reason not to practice what we are told in Scripture to practice? Fast and pray if for no other reason than we are told to. You can always email me at clarkmatthews1@aol.com.