Friday, September 14, 2018

FOREVER... AND EVER

Friday September 14, 2018 6:14 am

(Y)esterday brown was still thy head: is the opening line from a poem by Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe as he describes the changing of the Swiss Alps that he loves as one season leads to another: brown, (summer) leads to silver-grey (snow-topped). However, this poem could also be understood from the perspective of a young person watching their beloved changing and growing older, as brown hair (youth) turns to silver-grey (old age). The final few words are... yesterday blends with today. Which is also an appropriate description of life passing.

(A)ristotle said, "The end of labor is to gain leisure." (Obviously I'm going to be looking both backward and forward in this blog as I'm trying to separate what has been before, to what is now... and hopefully what will be going forward.) I no longer have the responsibility of a job, but I do not yet have leisure... it's complicated. As an aside all that I write today will be stemming from the idea: yesterday blends with today.

(I)'ve found it impossible (in this early stage of retirement) to do nothing; so, myself and a friend from work, Bill... I thought it important to name him (lol) are starting up a business. I don't believe it will be especially profitable but it is interesting and it helps me to be as busy as I choose to be, and I've learned something new in the process. I converted my shed out back into a workshop and I have begun learning to make paper from blended pulp, grass, leaves, etc. and then using this newly made paper to transfer images. Afterward I will frame the finished product and offer it for sale. Perhaps at some future date I'll upload some of the work I've done?

(M)any are the times I look back and wonder what might have been? Then, I try and look forward and imagine if my past had been different... what might my present and future look like? However, to spend much time on that which is not is an exercise in futility. Yet, even knowing this truth doesn't always stop me from wasting time in that very pursuit. My overriding concern would be if my past could be changed then I might not have those I love with me today, and that I would not change for all the gold the world has ever known!

(H)appiness, contentment, joy, etc. are all worthy pursuits. I suppose? However, every one of those terms mean something different to each person. And because that's true I suppose it's unnecessary, and more importantly wasteful to pursue that which is unknowable and not possible to attain. Therefore, from this date and forward I propose to only look ahead... at least until next year. Sigh.