Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Chelsie...

Wednesday February 27, 2019 2:06 am

For the most part I think a lot of us tend to live our lives not thinking too much about others; at least those we might only know by name, and then know them only briefly... like two ships passing in the night on a large and darkened ocean. Such people are on the periphery of our radar and sometimes we pay nothing more than lip service to their very existence. Yet, they live lives full of wonder, hurt, happiness, sadness just like we do... that is; the full range of emotions all of us on this spinning ball hurtling through space share.

Right now because I can't sleep I decided to finish a letter I had started earlier this afternoon to a relatively young person who made several poor life choices; like all of us at times do. At this time I hope she is sleeping, and maybe dreaming of the day she will be free and holding her children once more.

Needing something more to do than just those things I find interesting or enjoyable, a few months ago I became a mentor in a program for prisoners throughout America. Chelsie happens to be the latest person I have written a letter and read and graded her lessons. In this program in order to help prisoners to grow spiritually they have Bible based lessons to complete. (I think maybe a lot of them teach me more than I might be helping them, I'm not sure?)

I think a lot of people see a prisoner and either think or speak aloud the phrase, "But for the grace of God go I." For me, that is more than a statement uttered without believing it to be true: those eight words are a truism for me.

Many of those I correspond aren't violent or hurtful toward others, these are some who because of poor choices have mostly just hurt themselves. To any and all who are out there in that condition my heartfelt prayer is that you might find peace and forgiveness: even if the forgiveness you need, is mainly for yourself.

My prayer this early morning is for peace and comfort, for all who are hurting... night.