Sunday, January 16, 2011

HIKING THE APPALACHIAN TRAIL

Sunday 01/15/2011 7:45 am

I have scheduled just five vacation days in March to do something I have (for a very long time) wanted to do... hike the Appalachian Trail. Of course, anyone who is even remotely familiar with that 2,100 (+) mile trek knows that five days... plus about six months is what it takes the average person to hike through all 14 states. So, what I am really planning for just two of those five days in March is to hike ON the Appalachian Trail.

Who knows though, this could be a precursor for finally making the time in my life to be able to actually hike the complete trail? I will be picking up the trail either from a spot in Tennessee or North Carolina? (At this date I have not yet decided.)

The first day of my mini-vacation will be spent driving from my house to my starting point. The second day I plan to hike... toward the direction of Maine... for as far as I possibly can in one long day: then, the next day I plan to turn around and retrace my steps back to my starting point... car... and then drive home.

In the past there has always been valid reasons why such a journey, at least for me, was never feasible. A little matter like, children in school... a family to raise, etcetera. Now though, at my age and stage in life some of those things are past as each of the girls now have families of their own to raise.

To be sure there are still obstacles to overcome for me to be able to take that much time away... and at times they too seem insurmountable: yet, not nearly as much as they were just a few short years ago. Now to be sure, this will not be much of a hike I know: but, it will be a start and hopefully can jump-start my idea to again make the time and... as the NIKE logo states: JUST DO IT!

You can always email me at clarkmatthews1@aol.com