Monday, December 17, 2012

DAY(S) TO CELEBRATE & DAY(S) TO ONLY "MARK"

Monday December 17, 2012 6:40 am

For the most part my memory is still pretty good: and because of that in every calendar year I have many days that I celebrate. (Celebrate is probably too strong of a word for certain of those days as I do not have any type of party, but I do have my memories of what happened on those days.) I also have days that I remember something which happened on a particular day and time, and for those days, and in my mind, I only "mark" them. This week I had one of those days that (for me) was extremely sad and though I remembered it... there was certainly no celebration. For this day though it is an anniversary of a happy sort. 31 years ago today I was saved!!!

Later this week I have two more fun days to celebrate. One I will do so in my heart only: both days there will be actual parties... however, I will only be at one of the parties): Nonetheless, they will be days to have fun and recall good times of the past, and look forward to even happier days in the future!

I am also using this (happy) anniversary date to make one more change in my life, which is just another small step in my long road. A few months ago at the 8,275th day of something that happened which to me was devastating, I made a decision to do what Charles Morse said that he was going to do. Since that decision I have made two steps down that road... and today I take a third. I keep trying to remind myself: baby steps... baby steps.

(I guess I ought to mention one other thing before I continue. The other night at a party I was referred to as "Rain Man" by my oldest daughter. We were having a card game and while waiting for my turn at the table I was shuffling cards for Brian between sets. Brian had handed me another deck to shuffle and it didn't "feel right" to me and I announced that this wasn't an accurate deck of cards. Tammy immediately spoke up and said, "Rain Man... only 47 here" and then she made a disgusted sound and pretended to throw an imaginary deck away. Typically, both she and what she normally says is funny as she is very witty! This time was no different as everyone (including me) laughed!!!

I am writing that because I made mention of a particular number of days that had passed (8,275) since something happened that I hated. I wanted to say that I only know the number of days passing because in my mind I have kept a running count... and not because I am particularly good at mathematics. Another thing: "Rain Man" or not... after her remark, and before shuffling the deck I counted the cards and I was right. We had been playing that card game with only one joker in the deck and because of that there should have been 53 cards that I was to shuffle: instead, I had 54 cards in that deck! So, I smiled what I hoped was a smug smile as I found and discarded the extra joker before passing the deck to Brian to deal!)

I have to leave for work in a little bit so I will not write any more today. I just didn't want this good day of celebration to pass without me writing something to acknowledge it.

I hope and pray that all who reads this has a great day!