Tuesday, December 10, 2013

SSDD


Tuesday December 10, 2013 9:35 pm

You would think after so many years of receiving physicals that a person would get used to it... right? Not really, at least not for me. I mean, beginning with physicals for football in junior high to the Army to the present time this stuff should be old-hat. Now the funniest part is when all the tests are ran and the doctor tells you that they are leaving the room and to get undressed and you are to put a gown on with the front untied and open. Okay, I guess, but... why leave the room? Aren't they going to be seeing everything in a minute anyway? Today when she comes back in a couple of minutes later (This time with another girl, and I start thinking... “Hey, this might be fun after all!”) to finish her examination she steps in front, looks down and starts checking everything over, up close and very personal. Then, comes the, 'hold, squeeze, turn your head and cough' routine. Yep, not nearly as much fun as what I always think could have been possible just minutes before.

The other girl in the room today was much younger and she sort of looked embarrassed. I felt kind of bad for her as she kept her head slightly turned the whole time. I mean, some witness... right? For all she knew the doctor could have been doing all sorts of ungodly things to me and she would have never even seen it. If I hadn't already felt badly for her I thought of saying, “Hey you... eyes over here young lady!”

After the final examination today I received a clean bill of health. I am grateful, I really am... but, sometimes I wonder, “Why?” I mean, is it just supposed to be more SSDD for the rest of my life???

In the last stanza of a well read poem by Lermontov he wrote:

What good are the passions? For sooner or later
Their sweet sickness ends when reason speaks up;
And life, if surveyed with cold-blooded regard,-
Is stupid and empty - a joke…

He also wrote, “To love...but love whom?.. a short love is vexing, and permanent love's just a myth.” There are those in Russia (especially) and other places as well who believes his writings equal Pushkin's own poetry. Although I had read some of his work in the past I was never that enamored by his poems but I do think he showed good insight at times... especially when writing of life's futility.

After my visit today I finished another liquid fast with a veggie sandwich from Jimmy John's... now, THAT'S healthy eating :) The previous 36 hours I only drank a total of 350 calories during that time so I was hungry. Then I saw a movie... see what I mean! SSDD :(