Monday, December 02, 2013

DAY TWO


Monday December 2, 2013 8:59 am

10:00 pm Saturday night I began another liquid fast. I completed my first 24 hours at ten o'clock last evening and now I'm on, “day two.” Many, many, times in my life I've fasted for different periods of time. Whenever I think of fasting I think of three types. First, there is the type that people do in observance of Lent. That is, for a period of time they give up only certain foods or even sometimes luxuries. For awhile I have been practicing this (giving up certain foods) until I reach a goal weight that I previously set for myself. The seven “foods” I have completely cut from my diet are: pizza, French fries, chips, dips, ice cream, soft drinks, and hot sauce. (I only included hot sauce on my restricted list because I literally ate it on every food and at every meal and during any time of the day.)

The second type of fasting I think about... and the one I am presently doing I call my “Daniel” fast. By this I mean that I am only drinking liquids, e.g., fruits and vegetables ran through my juicer or all natural juices from Bolthouse, Evolution, Bear Naked, etcetera.

Finally, the most extreme and the only one that is a “true” Bible-fast is what I call my “Esther” fast. Of course, that is where an individual dedicates themselves to prayer and complete fasting, i.e., no food... and no water. The longest complete (Esther) fast I have ever done in my life was five days: from one Wednesday through the following Sunday I ate no food and drank no water.

I have also fasted for different reasons. There have been times when just like Esther I fasted for a spiritual reason and I prayed much during those periods of fasting. Just one example... though there are many others similar to this one. My mom was in intensive care and dying. I fasted and prayed for her healing. My answer from God during that time was, “No.” And, just like David when he was fasting and praying for the life of his child... but, God took the child's life anyway; David rose up, washed himself, and ate. After my mom died I too cleaned up and ate my first meal, thereby breaking my fast. However, most of the time when I choose to fast at all it is for physical reasons. I feel that I need to give my body a rest, or for cleansing. Of course, that is what I'm doing now with this liquid fast.

Usually during the daytime hours of any fast I choose they are a little easier to accomplish. However, the long dark nights during fall and winter especially are always the hardest for me to get through. Last evening about ten o'clock I was getting hungry and I thought I would like to have an olive? Yep, an olive... just a single olive. Yet, I knew if I gave in and ate an olive... not only would that break my fast but it probably wouldn't have stopped there. I mean, what goes better with olives but sharp cheese? And of course, with olives and cheese doesn't it just make sense that an ice cold beer ought to be the drink of choice. Yep, one olive certainly could be the difference between a successful fast or not. So, I only thought about the olive but I never followed through and ate one. And, the ones I have in my refrigerator are the large, plump, “Queen” olives and they are stuffed with pimento and very good! So, good for me that I refrained! :) My total calorie count in the last 36 hours from drinking only liquids now stands at 705 calories, and that includes my 130 calorie “meal” this morning for breakfast.

I might not be writing and keep anyone who reads apprised of how I'm doing on this fast... but I could write and keep up to date also, I just don't know? This fast is also one I started and am keeping it open-ended. By that I mean I only set a starting date, but I have no set time to end it. For certain I am planning three days which will take me through Tuesday: beyond that I do not know? I might continue it for a few more days or I could end it then? 

I hope all who reads this has a great day!