Friday, April 05, 2013

LIVING YET AGAIN, PLUS VIDEO

Friday April 5, 2013 5:59 am, 2:18 pm

Upon awaking this morning I had this thought. Were it possible to life life over, how would we live it? In retrospection I would imagine if we had no prescient knowledge we would most probably blunder through and make the same mistakes that we had the first time around. And, other than living twice as long as before... there would most probably be no great benefit. However, if we could live yet again, having known our shortfalls, bad decisions, and ultimately what it took in life for one to be truly happy... that's the ticket. It would be like Groundhog Day without all the conniving.

So, for the last hour or so I have been sitting here in a darkened room listening to music and watching some videos and just thinking about life. I found a poem I thought I would include this morning about life and living again.

If I Could Live My Life Over Again
Next time, I would try to make more mistakes.
I would not try to be so perfect, I would relax more.
I would be sillier than I have been.
I would take fewer things seriously.
I would be less fastidious.
Accept more risks, I would take more trips,
Contemplate more evenings,
Climb more mountains, and swim more rivers…
I would go to more places where I have not been,
Eat more ice cream and fewer beans.
I would have more real problems and less imaginary ones.
I was one of those people who lived
sensibly and meticulously every minute of their life.
Of course I have had moments of happiness.
But if I could go back in time, I would try to
have good moments only,
and not waste precious time.
I was someone never went
anywhere without a thermometer, a
hot water bag, an umbrella
and a parachute. If I could live again,
I would travel more frivolously.
If I could live again, I would begin
to walk barefoot at the beginning of the spring
and I would continue to do so until the end of autumn.
I would ride more merry-go-rounds,
I would contemplate more evenings and I would play
with more children.
If I could have another life ahead.
But I am 85 years old you see, and I know that I am dying. 

What's very sad is that this was a man who was full of regret for a life that he thought he could have lived better?

 
(Apparently there is some dispute on who the author is so two different men are credited: Nadine Stair and Jorge Luis Borges, regardless who the author... he had some good ideas.) Now, I know what I would do if I could live yet again. There is one particular lament I most often think about when I have thoughts of regret or having second chances. Truth be told even if I could live once more I'm not certain the outcome would be different for me. However, I do know one thing... I would not be sitting here this morning and only wondering: for I would have risked everything to be given an answer. If you could live life over what would you do?