Monday, September 01, 2014

LABOR DAY


Monday September 1, 2014 9:12 am

I guess I have nothing (like usual) of great importance to write but before leaving for work I thought I would record a few lines. First, “Happy Labor Day” to any and all who might read these few words today.

I awoke earlier and as usual my shoulder is aching and I remembered a quote from Lord Byron he had written in a letter to a friend. At the time he wrote this he was only in his 20's but he clearly understood something about aging. I think he had been ill for a bit when he saw, “...the sword wearing out the scabbard...” I love that line and that thought: for it's the same in me, all men I suppose?

This morning I awake and in my spirit (my sword) I still feel young. I have hopes and long held dreams and desires... and things I still long to do. Yet, my body (my scabbard) has much different ideas and I see my life passing away without accomplishing much of anything at all really. And certain dreams... are merely that, just a dream :(

In this same letter to his friend he included a poem which added to the lament of giving up... of course not willingly, but having to simply by reason of age, infirmity, or just the passing of time, He titled it:

So We'll Go No More a Roving

So, we'll go no more a roving
So late into the night,
Though the heart be still as loving,
And the moon be still as bright.

For the sword outwears its sheath,
And the soul wears out the breast,
And the heart must pause to breathe,
And love itself have rest.

Though the night was made for loving,
And the day returns too soon,
Yet we'll go no more a roving
By the light of the moon.

I understand well his angst in seeing time steal everything away and with it the hope of what might have been? I see this in the words, “Though the heart be still as loving, and the moon be still as bright.” I mean on the surface nothing has changed... not the feelings of his heart and neither that which seems unchangeable, like the brightness of the Moon. Yet, time... that hateful specter, steals away even hope after awhile. Because you keep telling yourself, “Someday.. someday, just wait and see, it will happen,,, someday!” Then, one day a person looks up and deep within themselves they realize... “someday” will never really happen, it was but a dream within a dream.

And the last stanza... well, I remember that time as if it were but only yesterday, “Though the night was made for loving, and the day returns too soon, yet we'll go no more a roving by the light of the moon.” Sad, so very, very, sad :(

Me thinks I will now turn my hourglass over once again and watch my life, and my dreams fall and fail with the passing of each tiny grain of sand: then, as always, I will dress and once again leave for work. Many times doing things I hate simply because I'm expected and supposed to be doing them. Yep, me and Martin sadly share the same fate when he said, “My whole life is … 'have to.'”

I didn't want to be Martin... I would have rather been 'Benjamin' crying out (…...) in the movie it was “Elaine.” In real life (lol) I'm neither Martin or Benjamin... rather, just a guy trying to get by the best he can, Yep, I'm average, and typical, and now leaving for work :)