Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Fun in the Sun

March 9, 8:33 am


Last evening I came in from work and told my wife that I had scheduled off work a few days next month because I was taking Virgil to see the ocean. Seriously... that's what I told her.

I invited her along but I told her that we would be “roughing it.” I said that I am only going to stop at rest-areas for bathroom breaks, and if I needed to get a little sleep. When I get to Florida I plan on finding a secluded area on one of the beaches and we'll spend the night there. She told me that she hopes Virgil and I will have a good time together. (lol)

Admittedly, I am not altogether certain that my family knows that I know that Virgil is a dog. So, just in case there is any lingering doubt out there... Virgil is a dog: there, I've said it. Because he is a dog I also realize that he really doesn't understand when I have told him that I am taking him to a beach somewhere to see the ocean. Yet, he enthusiastically wags his little stub of a tail as I excitedly tell him what we'll see!

I have always hated spending any money on myself and that is why I am going on the “cheap.” But, it has been nearly ten years since I have gone anywhere on vacation (we were in Florida during the attacks by a group of heathen Muslim on 9/11) and I think that now is the time. Besides all of that, we enjoy each other's company.

In 1912 Samuel Butler wrote: “The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too.” I think it one of the fun pleasures in life to be out with Virgil and act a fool and he doesn't let on, nor does he care. I truly believe that is what it must have been like when Adam was first created and placed in the Garden surrounded by all of the creatures God had made... and Adam's only job was too enjoy them.

It would take more time than I care to invest this morning to list all of the animals I have had in my lifetime as pets; suffice it to say that if you really know me then you know that it is quite a long list of different types of animals: groundhog, squirrel, monkey, opossum, skunk, alligator, raccoon, hedgehog, ferret, chinchilla, etc. etc. etc. Yet, out of all of the wonderful animals I have enjoyed and played with... none has ever been so faithful and more loving than a simple dog. Edith Wharton, said it best: “My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet.”

In the end I have to say that I have always gotten more out of the relationship I have had with animals than I have ever put in. Of course there are times they can be a nuisance: I mean, who really wants to leave a warm bed and go outside on a frigid morning just so your pet can make their toilet? They are also messy and sometimes destructive: anyone who has ever had something chewed up by a dog knows this is true. As far as being messy, Virgil's breed (American bulldog) is not as bad as a Dogue de Bordeaux (French mastiff) which was the type of dog that was used in Turner and Hooch. But, whenever Virgil shakes his big head you certainly want to turn away... otherwise you are likely to get slimed. The inside glass in the back of my car usually looks like a scene from Ghost Busters.

Here is what I mean though by getting more out of the relationship than I have ever put in. Let me ask you a question. Other than the Lord Himself, can you honestly say that you are unconditionally loved by another? If you can't honestly say that then I encourage you to go to any pound in America and rescue a stray dog and you too can have that type of a relationship... unconditional love.

I will stop this morning with part of a poem written about a dog. I have to stop anyway because Virgil needs walked. I will sum it up this way: suppose you do have to replace something that has either been ruined or soiled because of a dog... so what? It is still a very good trade-off. The second stanza in Wedgefarth's poem (Animals) is one that I really like. “I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that.” If none of the above moves you then maybe you would just like to show yourself “righteous” before God: if so, rescue a couple of dogs and then be good to them; Proverbs 12:10a.

You can always email me at clarkmatthews1@aol.com