Saturday, August 27, 2011

I AIN'T AS GOOD AS I ONCE WAS

Saturday August 27, 10:30 pm

I started to ask if any of you have ever heard a refrain from a song and have it stick in your mind? However, such a question would be superfluous because (of course) we have all had that happen to us. For me... I awoke this morning with one particular line from a country song (of all things) being played over and over in my mind.

Now, dementia has not yet set in so I am still not a great fan of that genre but upon occasion I get a “hankerin” to listen to something other than the type of music I usually enjoy. Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I found myself in a place where country music was being played and I heard a song I thought was sort of fun and besides that I felt that I could relate to what was being sung.

The words I heard then and awoke to this morning are in a song which is sang by Toby Keith and the particular refrain I kept hearing in my mind was... “I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.”

In this song the singer finds himself in certain situations where as a younger man he might even have excelled in those areas and he realizes that he can still do all of those things now, as an older guy... but, maybe only once? I said that I could relate to that because I find that I can still do anything I could have done as a younger man, and maybe as well... but, I just can't do it as often! (lol)

Shaw stated that, “youth is wasted on the young.” I don't know that I believe that exactly... but I do think it is probably not appreciated by the young. The things my body responded to so easily as a younger man... I now have to work much harder to accomplish. I guess I am at that awkward age that Kinky Friedman spoke about. “I'm too young for Medicare and too old for girls too care.” Yeah, I guess that old Kinky Friedman is a sage after all.