Saturday, July 30, 2011

MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS

Saturday July 30, 2011 11:00 am

After I had written on Thursday I had not planned on writing this soon again. But, the response has been good so I thought I would write something this morning before leaving for work.

Evidently I struck a chord with Thursday's blog. My counter runs Saturday through Friday of each week and this morning I saw where I ended with my highest total of people reading for at least a year. I also received four emails... and two of them were from people whom I had not known previous to Thursday's blog. I especially like the fact that since I am no longer adding my email address to the bottom of what I post then this means they had to read some of the past posts I had where an address was given.

From the four who answered my question I had posed on Thursday's blog (“Have you ever had a dream of chance, while sleeping, and it caused you to act in a certain way while awake?”) there was a consensus.... everyone who answered had dreams while sleeping which caused them to change some behavior after they were awake.

Because of that good response... I will now ask another question: two actually. Have you ever had a dream that was “more” than a dream? (In fact, you might be able to call it a “vision.”)

And my second question is only this: “Do you believe that dreams come from God?”

Now, I'm not talking about the garden-variety of disjointed and fragmented dream sequences which can rightly be attributed to a tired or overworked mind and body. I am speaking about a dream that is as real as what you see when your eyes are wide open.

I have had three such dreams in my life. One dream (vision) there is only one person in the world, besides myself, who knows about it. One dream (vision) there are only two people in the world, besides myself, who knows about it. And one dream (vision) an entire church body was made aware of my dream as I told it from a pulpit.

The reason I asked if you believe dreams are from God is that the dream (vision) I told from the pulpit came to pass within an hour of my being awake. And what I saw in my mind as I slept happened down to the very smallest detail after I was awake.

The dream where only two people (besides myself) know about it was a tragic dream... but, because of that dream something wonderful happened: and this definitely would not have happened without that dream.

The dream where only one other person (besides me) knows about it never came to pass... but, I still have no reason to doubt it any more than I do the other two. I, most probably just like you have had hundreds of dreams of chance as we sleep that upon waking might seem real for a few seconds. I mean, I had two such dreams on consecutive nights this past week, (Yet, within a few seconds of wakefulness we are painfully aware that it was only a dream.)

Perhaps this type of “chance dreaming” is brought on by want or longing. It is nothing more than the sleeping mind not being able to escape the thoughts or desires of the mind that was awake. I think Edgar Allen Poe wrote of such dreams as these when he penned, “Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal man ever dared to dream before.”

But, I am speaking about a different type of dream where reality intrudes upon the dream and we are seeing what either shall, or might come to pass? There is a texture and feel to this type of dream that is as different to chance dreaming as night is to day. If you have ever dreamed this way, even one time, you will forever know the difference between the two. I have had only three of these... “dream visions” in my lifetime.

As a person who enjoys reading and after having had my first dream which was altogether different than anything I had ever experienced before I had gone to the library to see what other men had to say about such things. It was then I came across a quote written by a man who seemed to understand what I was feeling. His name is Stephen Benet and he wrote: “Dreaming men are haunted men.”

Maybe that is why I do not always look forward to sleep. Perhaps I am fearful that what I might see in my mind as I slumber and sleep could hurt me more than anything I might experience while awake?