Tuesday, August 23, 2011

LOVE STINKS

Tuesday August 23, 2011 5:57 am

In many ways I guess I have lived a charmed life surrounded by people who have told me they “love me.” Even from an early age I have heard those words said to me many times and from several different people. Now, older and looking backward at my youth I believe that at least some of those who said that particular phrase (I love you) to me were probably confusing “love” with some other emotion which is probably similar to love and could be confused with that emotion.

True love (I think) is most probably an extremely rare occurrence. But, people are so used to saying those words for just about anything that it has simply lost its meaning. I was in the break-room the other day and I heard a snippet of conversation from three girls I have never met and in the course of a two or three minute conversation I heard them say how much they “love” certain types of food and then how they “love” some television show they all regularly watch and one of them... “really, really loves” one of the guys on that same show!

I do have a point to make but I am finding it hard to find a way to introduce what I am wanting to say. The day before yesterday I had a person I haven't known that long say those words to me. I was hoping they wouldn't because I never know how I am supposed to react. I mean... “Thank you” doesn't seem adequate, but I certainly couldn't reciprocate so I always just feel uncomfortable. I don't want to minimize the way anyone believes they feel about another, but I just find it hard to accept that love is that easy a commodity to find. Besides, it seems to me that someone always ends up hurt whenever they say that to another person anyway. I know it is supposed to be a good feeling, but (at least) for this morning I think true love is more like Adam Sandler (The Wedding Singer) and his own version of the classic song... “love stinks!” (lol)