Saturday, May 12, 2012

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY... A LITTLE EARLY

Saturday May 12, 2012 7:07 pm


Tomorrow will be a very busy day for me as I begin my 17 week (119 day) push until my first full Iron-man event at Cedar Point, Ohio. For several weeks my left knee has been causing me great pain and I have fallen behind in my workout regimen. But... tomorrow afternoon: after church and a dinner I have my longest bike ride planned that I have done in the last 90 days. It will, according to our local weather prognosticator be a long ride in the rain... no fun!  

Because I won't have time tomorrow I would like to offer (today) a heartfelt wish for all the ladies to have a very happy Mother's Day. And for any girls who might read this and are married... but not yet mother's? Well, I would still like to offer you a wish for a happy Mother's Day as well. My best guess is that your husbands (at times) still act like little boys and you occasionally have to do some mothering. Or, am I the only one who refuses to grow up? (lol) Anyway, regardless your situation... to all the ladies... Happy Mother's Day!!!

As I was searching through old tapes and books while preparing for the series I am writing on the Second Coming of Christ I found the first poem I ever tried to write. (At least I think this was the first one?) Anyway, when we got the great news that Tammy and Bob were adopting two little boys (Aaron and Ethan) it came upon my heart to write a poem for them and the boys. Because it is almost Mother's Day I thought I would take a small break from the series I am doing and interject something lighter. So, here is the poem I had written for them. It was not written for Mother's Day: however, it was written because she was becoming a mother... does that count? (:

Before I reproduce the poem let me add something: I have always liked numbers, dates, and names. (I know, I'm really weird!) Because of that whenever I first meet someone and if I like them and (or) take some special interest I have always looked up their birth-dates (to see what all was happening in the world during the time of their birth) and their names to see what they mean? So, several years ago when I first learned the boys names I looked them up. In the Hebrew language Aaron means “Exalted” and Ethan means “Steady.” (The reason I told you that is it will be important to know what the boy's names mean in order to understand one particular stanza I wrote in this poem.) Also, at that time the little guys were very small and couldn't say, “Grandpa” … so I signed my short story and poem the way the boys said my name.

(When I wrote the poem I began it this way:)

FAMILY

Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord, and Gabriel came also among them. He was bearing a petition:

And the Lord said, through the years,
I have heard their crying;
And have witnessed the tears,
With two heavy hearts sighing;

Flesh of our flesh,
And bone of our bone;
Is their heartfelt request,
To have a child of their own;

I have heard their speech,
And my strength is not lax;
It is within my reach,
To give more than they ask;

A woman in great pain,
Not ready to mother;
Her life is so vain,
Yet, born are two brothers;

A sparrow cannot fall,
Without His seeing;
Two babies call,
For they are needing;

It is for a home that they call,
But much more than that;
Because any four walls,
Can make up a flat;

Asking and pleading,
Was part of His plan;
Lonely and needing,
He remembered Bob, and Tam;

Exalted is one,
And the other is Steady;
Both are their sons,
For now are they ready;

Your two sons are to have and to hold,
You must keep within reach;
For they are to love and to mold,
And you are always to teach;

To walk in the light,
And not to follow man;
Teach them to do right,
For that was His plan;

A family of two,
And how it became four;
He makes all things new,
And later with God, perhaps... even more?

And Gabriel said to the Lord, what if they query – why not – bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh? 

And the Lord smiled and said unto Gabriel, “Just remind them that by choice ... all of my own sweet children are also adopted.”

Romans 8:15: “For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear, but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father."

July 26, 2005
Story and poem by 'gampa'