Saturday, July 07, 2012

HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIEND...

Saturday July 7, 2012 11:14 pm

A few minutes ago I just finished making something for one set of the grandkids... I still have two more of these same projects to build but I'll have to wait until I am off next Friday to get those done. I suppose I ought to finish up what I still have left to do this week for school, but I really "don't wanna" do that.

Instead of doing what I ought I think I will waste a little time, something I am usually loathe to want to do... and I will put something on my blog. Lately, more so than usual I have thought of just never writing again. The honest truth is that few people read what I write anyway so at times I think it is a complete waste of time. Then, there are other times I understand that I mainly do it for myself anyway. Mostly what I write is drivel, and I not only accept that but I embrace that truth. So, I write what few read and say what is mostly unimportant... yet, I sometimes find solace in doing this.

I'm not altogether certain why (I suppose it is because I wrote that I write and no one listens) but one of my favorite songs when I was still a young man just popped into my head... The Sounds of Silence. Others have also recorded this song, but I really like the way Simon and Garfunkel recorded it. The opening stanza of the song is especially good:

Hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains...
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp...

I think I was ten or 11 when I first heard the song. I won't go into it now but there were certain things going on in my life back then and I remember the first time I heard it played on the radio I thought it perfectly fit my life.

Even though I was awfully young it was not uncommon for me to be out all night and just prowling around, and I came to accept that this was a normal life... at least it was normal for me. So, when I first heard the song and its opening lines I thought it had been written for me? "Hello darkness, my old friend... I've come to talk with you again..."

There are times that even today I have a need to just go out at night and be alone... and if not alone I like my little buddy, Virgil, to be at my side: he's really a good friend to me!