Thursday, December 20, 2012

FUN DAY AND RUMORS?

Thursday 12/20/2012 9:01 pm (Today's date is my favorite palindrome.)

I've had a fun day today. That in itself is enough of a reason for me to write, but there is also something else I want to mention. I was fooling around on the Internet a few minutes ago and I saw a story where many schools in Michigan were closing two days early for the Christmas break? You might ask why? In part it is due to the rumors of the Mayan long count calendar and the end-of-the-world scenario! C'mon... some podunk city in some third world country might close schools because of that... but, cities in Michigan, USA?

Maybe it is the end of the world (as we know it) when people are actually taking this thing seriously? Months ago I publicly stated that the biggest threat would come from paranoid people who might actually believe the silliness of all this and because of that they might behave in crazy ways? Hey, I'm not knocking crazy, I like crazy... I live with it 24/7! (I mean, have you ever met my wife? lol)

Actually, the crazy part I was originally meaning was me. However, as I was typing I saw an opening that I just couldn't resist? It's kind of like the old joke of the doctor and his female patient. He was taking her medical history and he asked: "Do you ever wake up grumpy?" Immediately she said, "No, I always let Grumpy sleep!" hahahaha

There was a young girl at work the other day and we were talking about the Mayan calendar and I told her that I was planning some fun around that date, and I told her of my plans for the party we are having. However, I learned that she had some genuine fears about it, so I thought I would try and make her feel better?

I asked her age... just twenty, still a baby (: I tried to patiently explain that the idea of the whole world ending at the same time should cause her no more fear than her own death. Because, I said that in essence when a person dies in a fire, car accident, drowning, etc. ( I probably named ten or twelve things consecutively that could cause death) it might as well have been the whole world ending, because for that person the world had ended... right?

Honestly, I was only trying to reason with her and quell her fears: however, her countenance looked more troubled leaving the room than when she came in. So, I guess if you are afraid of the world blowing up you might not want to come to me for comfort: apparently I don't know how to do that very well (:

No, collectively the world and most of its inhabitants will still be here Saturday December 22nd. Individually of course there will be people who will perish, but not because of a date, or lack thereof on some Mayan calendar? Here is a question for you. If the Mayans were so smart... why aren't the majority of them still around (:

Think about it... if they could foretell the future they would have known when most of their civilization would have been wiped out and they would have been sure to miss that time and place... don't you think? lol

I mean, would you go to a dentist who had Billy Bob teeth? Or, go to a fat farm ran by Ruben Studdard? How about getting a haircut from Yul Brynner? Then why in the world would any person believe a prognosticator who could not even predict their own demise... C'mon!

This is probably not one of those things I ought to actually tell about myself. But, I will anyway (: When I was younger I was in the Sun... a lot! Because of that I have had several different skin cancers removed. I had a regular doctor for many of them but one time I was between doctors and I found a different one. I was in his office (waiting) and I was reading all of his certifications on the wall and many newspaper articles of the work he had done in cosmetic surgery. Now, before I tell you about this doctor I need to tell you something about my previous dermatologist in Louisville. Physically he looked something like a "Ken" doll. I'd say it was obvious he practiced what he practiced... if you know what I mean.

The new guy though when he walked in I thought he was probably a "before" patient and in a few years he would be an "after" patient. I mean, he was in desperate need of Hair club for Men. A prime prospect for Gold's Gym. A poster boy for Dr. Bizer's Vision world. (I swear his glasses were as big, but the lenses were much thicker than Elton John's or Nana Mouskouris. No... this was the doctor! What about the proverb "Physician heal thyself?" This poor guy needed some help from someone?

He had two nurses with him, both were very pretty (maybe patients?) and one of them was apparently in training as he asked me if I minded both of them being there? I grinned and said, "No." The entire time he is examining me he is speaking into a tape recorder as he was wearing a wire headset, and I am still foolishly smiling. I can't quit smiling because as he leans in close to examine my face I begin to do the same thing to him. My eyes are darting back-and-forth and I am taking it all in and trying to imagine all of the different procedures he needed done? I just didn't know all of the technical names for nose job, face sanding, eye lift, ear reduction, etc. etc. etc. He was really a very needy guy (:

So, for what he was doing to me... burning away spots that either were, or might develop into cancer, he was great! But, if I were a girl and wanted something cosmetic done to my face... he would be the last person I would choose. I wrote all of that to say that I would never believe a foreteller of the future who couldn't even foretell what was going to happen to their own selves!

Well, I guess I'm done. I can only say I wish I was at the movies (: