Wednesday, October 05, 2011

TIME IS NO ONE'S FRIEND

Wednesday October 5, 2011 8:33 am

A week or so ago I received an email from a person I had known many years ago. The last time I saw her in person was in Louisville... I think it was the summer of 1990? Anyway, at that time she was a beautiful young girl with long raven-black hair. In her recent email she talked about having spotted her first grey hair, and that caused me to want to again see my hourglass. But, there was a problem... I no longer had it. That particular device was one of four things I had placed on a trail this past summer. So, yesterday during lunchtime I purchased another one and this morning before sitting down to type this I sat for a while and watched the sands work their inexorable magic as they passed through the ampoule shape of the hourglass. As always I was both amused and frightened by this simple act: amused because it is actually possible to see something as ethereal as time pass... and frightened because the sands on the bottom of the glass fill so very quickly!

The illimitable, silent, never-resting thing called Time, rolling, rushing on, swift, silent, like an all-embracing ocean tide, on which we and all the universe swim like exhalations, like apparitions which are, and then are not... – Thomas Carlyle.

Though I like that quote a lot... the Bible might well state that sentiment the best: James 4:14b – “... For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.”

As you (the reader) might be able to tell with this writing today I had another restless night and was up at 3:00 am and pondering certain things about life (: My only advice to any of you today comes from a quote my oldest daughter told me about... here is the quote: “Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone!”

About a year ago I wrote a poem and I titled it: Time Is Not My Friend: however, upon further reflection I have learned a new and more damning truth; time... sadly... is no one's friend!