Friday, November 04, 2011

"WHAT TIME IT IS?"

Friday November 4, 2011 5:07 am

I used to enjoy watching a show by Linkletter called, Kids Say The Darndest Things. I only mention that as a segue into what I want to write about this morning and it has to do with “timing.” And because I both fell asleep and awoke this morning mulling over that idea of every thing having a time I thought back to one of my favorite sayings by a little child. She was only about seven years old and her name is Michelle and whenever she wanted to know the time she would innocently ask, “What time it is?” The first time I heard her I thought she had confused her wording... then, after I heard that phrase repeated by her every time she was wanting to know the time I knew why she was using those words in that order.

It was because she had heard adults giving the answer as... “It is ... o'clock” (etc. etc.) I suppose it's the same reason that all small children first learn to wave backward, as that is the part of the hand they are seeing when they see someone waving to them... Michelle was only repeating in a question what she had heard given in a statement. Anyway... I know I have taken a long way around in trying to introduce my thoughts this morning but for the life of me I could think of no better way (:

In professional baseball a hitter is either a hero or villain and it is all a matter of split second timing. He must meet a ball passing over home-plate traveling at 100(+) miles per hour with a wooden bat he might be swinging at speeds which nearly match the ball passing over the plate and this has to be done with less than three inches of the exposed barrel of the bat contacting the ball. It's all about perfect timing.

A professional race car driver will drive their car at speeds above 200 mph and they will draft within inches of other cars in a pack traveling at the same speeds. Those who do this the most successfully will be toasted as winners. Those who fail will be hurt or killed in accidents. It's all about perfect timing.

This idea of perfect timing and having to be in the right spot at a particular split-second in time is true in all of sports... football, tennis, etc. etc. etc. AND I am persuaded it is also true in our everyday life. It's all about perfect timing.

I fell asleep a few hours ago imaging how different my life might have been if only the timing of events had been different? A missed call? A chance encounter? Sometimes I think our lives are lived and played out as Wadsworth wrote in a terribly sad passage when he penned, “Ships that pass in the night, and speak each other in passing, only a signal shown, and a distant voice in the darkness; So on the ocean of life, we pass and speak one another, only a look and a voice, then darkness again and a silence.” I hate the part that follows the two ships after they have passed each other: then darkness again... and a silence ): Yeah, I think a successful and happy life is really all about perfect timing.