Saturday, January 14, 2012

HISTORIAS DE MI MUCHACHO

Saturday January 14, 2012 5:50 pm

I just got home from being out with Virgil and thought I would write something. We had been walking beside some old railroad tracks which are no longer in service: they are in a rundown part of town. (I suppose I thought I should pick somewhere which most closely matched my mood.) Usually whenever I am out with him I am talking a lot and he trots along beside me just being a good friend and listening: as I inanely blather on about one thing or another. Today though was somewhat different as I wasn't talking at all. In my mind I was altogether somewhere else.

Have you ever driven down a road so lost in thought that when something happens which draws you back to the present that you are amazed you have successfully driven the last several miles... and without having any awareness of the road? If you have ever done that... that is how it was for me today. I had been walking with my boy but so lost in thought that I was unaware of anything else. What drew me back to the present was snow falling. (I guess it had been coming down for several minutes because the ground where we were walking was already covered.)

I love the snow, but I knew that this snow wasn't for me as it would be impossible to imagine the Lord would be interested in doing something on my behalf. Regardless though, I still looked to the Heavens and whispered, “Thank you Lord.”

Matthew 5:45b the Bible declares … “for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.” Therefore, regardless which camp any person finds themselves in... blessings from God are still blessings from God. So, I say again... “Thank you Lord.”

Because I haven't been writing much lately I will try to catch everyone up on the next events that I am trying to do. Bob told me earlier today that the next sprint (Iron Man) race that we will do together is April 21 in Versailles. After that, the next one would be the ½ Iron Man July 7 in Muncie, Indiana. That one is, of course, a longer and harder race. (1.2 miles swimming, 56 miles on a bicycle, then 13.1 mile run on foot.)

The last few weeks the lap lanes at the Y had been closed because the pump was out. However, today it was open again and I was there earlier and will be back first thing in the morning for more swimming, biking, and lifting... trying to be ready for these things which are fast approaching... blink... and they will be here, and then gone forever!