Wednesday, November 23, 2011

THANKSGIVING

Wednesday November 23, 2011 10:50 pm (THANKSGIVING EVE)

In order to honor this most traditional of American holidays I thought I might give some useful(?) quotes for all who might read this blog. Hopefully I will have something for the conservative, and the liberals among us. I have chosen a broad and eclectic group of people whom I have taken quotes from.

The first quote is for all of us who never seem to learn that we choose our friends... not our relatives:

“Thanksgiving is an emotional holiday. People travel thousands of miles to be with people they only see once a year. And then discover once a year is way to often.” Johnny Carson

The next quote is for all liberal revisionists:

“I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.” Jon Stewart

For everyone who is weight conscious this year... here is a poem:

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize.
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

For those who are not too prudish among us this Thanksgiving... here is an offering from Arnold Schwarzenegger: “I love Thanksgiving... it's the only time in Los Angeles that you see natural breasts.”

For the pious who read this: do not... I repeat do not... offer the same type prayer that Christina Ricci did in The Ice Storm: “Dear Lord, thank you for this Thanksgiving holiday, and for all the material possessions that we have and enjoy. And for letting us white people kill all the Indians and steal their tribal lands and stuff ourselves like pigs...”

This next one is for all the old sots among us who can read this and relate: “... Thanksgiving is the day when... my mom, after six Bloody Mary's, looks at the turkey and goes... “Here kitty, kitty...” David Letterman

I've saved the last two quotes for my friend(s) (: who likes... Friends!

Phoebe Buffay: “... ooh, you got the bigger half (of the wishbone), what did you wish for?”
Joey Tribbiani: “… the bigger half...”

One more from Friends.

Joey Tribbiani: “... where's that turkey?”
Phoebe Buffay: “... hey, those are my maternity pants.”
Joey Tribbiani: “ … nah, nah, these are my Thanksgiving pants...”

I do hope that everyone who reads this has a joyous Thanksgiving Day; and if I could have a prayer answered I suppose it would be that some are blessed enough on this day to be with the ones who they love more than their own lives! If you are reading this and realize that is you... well, count your many blessings... because you are fortunate indeed!!!