Tuesday, November 22, 2011

RAINY NIGHT IN INDIANA

Tuesday November 22, 11:20 am

With the title for my blog today I offer my apologies to Tony White. It has rained for nearly three days now... sometimes rather hard. Usually rainy days are good for me as they seem to be a tonic for my soul. I suppose in part that is because Virgil and I both like walks in the rain. However, because of his age and the fact that this has been a cold rain I am fearful to take him out and get him too wet.

I had a scare with him last week, so I took him to our vet... thankfully though he is okay and I brought him home. Anyway, I told all of you that to try and explain why I am not as happy with these rains as I might otherwise be. Now, they sort of evoke in me the same type of melancholy that others speak about.

It is odd that just a glance, smell, thought, or even a cold and persistent rain can take a person back to another time. When I awoke very early this morning and another cold rain was falling I was 14 again and my radio-alarm had just sounded and I was awakened to Brook Benton singing, Rainy Night in Georgia. (In that song there is only one thing he finds that helps him to feel better... but, from experience I can say it's only temporary.)

As I sit here and type this I can hear a sad howling from our neighbor's dogs. He has five Coonhounds and they are all small in size and are kenneled together. Perhaps, even for them it's also the rain, or some scent wafting in the air which has set them off... regardless, their wailing has a mournful tone to it. I think if he heard them this morning that Brook might understand their angst.

I suppose the upside to this would be wishing for colder weather so that this rain could turn into that fun white stuff. At least then I could take Virgil outside to play in it (: