Sunday, July 15, 2012

ONLY A DREAM?

Sunday July 15, 2012 7:09 am


Normally I like the rain... but, this early morning it only evokes a feeling of melancholy in me ):

I awoke at 4:00 am to the sound of a soft rain on my window, and as I lay in the darkened room just listening to the sounds of the rain and Virgil's soft snoring sounds, I was very sad for some(?) I have never had and never will.

For some odd reason even though we are in the middle of summer, lying in the dark with the rain gently falling it seemed like the fall of the year... and I couldn't stop thinking of Thanksgiving. The "fall season" has for many years been my favorite time of year.

Because I knew that further sleep would now be impossible I got up and have been busily typing and getting ahead for next week's school sessions. It is now close to 7:00 and I have to leave for work in about thirty minutes so I thought I would write a brief blog.

I once knew someone, maybe it was only a dream... but, in my dream they categorized songs and such by times and seasons? I also find in my own life I do something similar. So, whenever I think of times and seasons, and especially the fall of the year, I instantly recall one of my very favorite poems of all times, Frost's: RELUCTANCE.

Out through the fields and the woods
And over the walls I have wended;
I have climbed the hills of view
And looked at the world, and descended;
I have come by the highway home,
And lo, it is ended.

The leaves are all dead on the ground,
Save those that the oak is keeping
To ravel them one by one
And let them go scraping and creeping
Out over the crusted snow,
When others are sleeping.

And the dead leaves lie huddled and still,
No longer blown hither and thither;
The last long aster is gone;
The flowers of the witch-hazel wither;
The heart is still aching to seek,
But the feet question 'Whither?'

Ah, when to the heart of man
Was it ever less than a treason
To go with the drift of things,
To yield with a grace to reason,
And bow and accept the end
Of a love or a season?

I love the part... "... The heart is still aching to seek, but the feet question 'Whither'"? And I also like the entire last stanza, as Frost ends with an eternally unanswerable question!

I hope any who might read this has a good and blessed day!