Thursday, November 15, 2012

SOME IMPORTANT THINGS I HAVE RECENTLY LEARNED

 


Thursday November 15, 2012 8:20 am

I have always enjoyed learning. What seems odd about that true statement is that even though I have always liked to learn: I was a terrible student! My grades were good, but as a young person I was always restless and I disliked the classroom setting. Perhaps that is why a lot of the things I enjoy and have learned has happened away from a structured environment. The things I enjoy learning (just like the things I collect for my office) covers a broad range of subject matter and material. This morning for my blog I think I will write about four things I have either studied or learned within the last few weeks. I will begin with what I have deemed the least important thing I have learned, then I will finish with the fourth new truth and the most important thing I have recently learned!

(Before I list what I have recently learned... let me give you an appropriate analogy about learning. Many years ago I used to watch a television show called Kung Fu with David Carradine. As a youngster he was taught by "Master Po" a great Kung Fu fighter. At some point though in the youth's training the student became the master (teacher.) I think this is what sometimes happens with exceptional students!) Now, onto my short list of four new truths learned.

(Four.) I had been reading about UFOs and the many sightings throughout the world. While it is true that there are “unexplained flying objects.” However, if they had an other-worldly beginning we might not be capable of grasping how they are able to traverse the vast distances of space? Although there is a theory called the “Hutchison Effect” and this might help us to understand their propulsion technology?

(Three.) I have always enjoyed mathematics. Recently I was reading about some work being done by Ken Ono and his team as they are building on Euler's theories as they related to partition numbers. Admittedly, what would seem like a concept which one ought to be able to grasp fairly easily... some of what Ono writes is over my head. However, it is still fun to read about his work.

(Two.) The two things I have already written about were things I have learned on my own because they are subjects which hold my interest. The next one (number two on my list) is something we have been studying in Psychology. The concept of “mirroring” is not new: however, the way it has been presented by our instructor has been a fun learning experience. In essence it explains why we smile or frown, etc. as we are conversing with someone. We are basically “mirroring” their facial expressions as we are speaking. 

If you would like to see this in practice... the next stranger you pass, politely smile at them and they will automatically (mirror) return the gesture. (Of course, I was thinking as I typed this that this might also be a way to create a stalker? If you try this little experiment write to me and let me know the outcome: friendly and warm smile returned... or, someone you eventually have to go to court and file a CPO? lol) Anyway, the same thing happens when we watch movies: tears, or even laughter are usually being “mirrored” by whatever we are watching? This has been a fun study and I rate it as number two on my list of important things I have recently learned.

(One.) This next, and the most important truth I have recently learned did not come to me because of personal study. Neither did it come to me in a classroom setting: it was just sort of handed to me in a succinct statement. This new truth I learned is that my, “chocolate delight on a stick” is not really called that at all? I mean, go figure. Nope, it's called a, “cake-pop.” Really, I'm not even kidding (: I love to learn!

Well, I have to get ready for work... I hope all who reads this has a great day!!! By the way, for my first break I will be enjoying another “chocolate de...” I mean, delicious cake-pop! (: