Friday, December 20, 2013

Happy Birthday :)


Friday December 20, 2013 9:27 pm

The Arrow and the Song

I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For, so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breathed a song into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where;
For who has sight so keen and strong,
That it can follow the flight of song?

Long, long afterward, in an oak
I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end,
I found again in the heart of a friend. ~ Longfellow

I wanted to wish a long time friend a very happy birthday and I thought I would do it with a famous poem on friendship. I suppose all songs and poems (at least the good ones) are always open to interpretation? So, I'm not saying for certain I have the same understanding as someone else who might read this or even what Longfellow meant when he wrote it?

But I think it means that when we take some action that we might never know until (perhaps) somewhere far down the road what the consequences might be? He “shot an arrow” (or took some action) but he doesn't know where it fell to the Earth because he couldn't see that far to know where it fell? He also “breathed” or sang a song... again who knows who heard it or what it meant to them? But then he said he found that song again “in the heart of a friend.”

Anyway, I would just like to say to this person who might never see these words... “Thank you.” And I also wish I could have given them something as a gift today... but, what do you give to a person that you owe your life to? Since I have nothing to offer but my gratitude, I freely give that.

I suppose the jury is still out on whether or not a few years ago my life being spared was a good thing or not? To those who love me I imagine they would say (if asked) that it was a good thing. However, to the man in another car tonight who I tried my best to make him mad enough to get out of his car so we could “settle things like men” probably would have been happier if I had died when I was sick. At least then he would have felt more like a man tonight driving home had he not met me. I mean, if you aren't willing to back up strong words with some physical action then as a guy you simply shouldn't use those words? Because there is always a possibility that you will meet me, or someone like me who's going to say, "Buddy, I'm from Missouri (the show me state) and you're just going to have to prove that to me." Lol

Yep, I'm not a very good guy so at times it seems oh so strange why God still continually grants me the breath of life. I can only say He must have great patience and to Him I would also like to say, Thank you."

I hope all who reads this has a wonderful night tonight!