Saturday, March 01, 2014

THIS & THAT


Saturday March 1, 2014 10:46 pm

I just got home from Missy and Brian's and I had a drink and smoked a cigar... as always it was fun. The cigar Brian smoked was a 60 ring cigar... mine was much more modest in size. His would simply take far too long for me to smoke :)




I also got my appointment confirmed with Darin for my next tattoo: it is Friday March 21st. This time I hope it doesn't fall through. I like doing things like this on days I deem important and unless I'm willing to wait more than a month for another one this is it for awhile.

My first tattoo was a “rose” and I got that on September 22, 2012 which was the first full day of fall that year. My second tattoo was of my dear friend Virgil and I got that on November 12, 2013. And this tattoo of my anchor I have scheduled for the first full day of spring this year.

I am off Monday and Tuesday and I have a few workout sessions planned both days (with a friend) as I'm trying to push toward a goal I set for myself with the earnest hope that I will accomplish it this time: then Monday night I am going to a new (for me) cigar bar with some different people from work. I'm now on the hunt for something different to try Tuesday night but so far I haven't decided what that is going to be?

It's possible I am driving to Hilton Head for a couple of days in early April but I have to make sure I can get off work first. I'm putting in for it in the morning. Can anyone else believe that we are already at the start of a new month. In 30 days ¼ of this new year will already be over! Yep, life is scary fast and over so very quickly! So, I finally decided if there are things I still want to see or do I'm no longer waiting. Robert Frost wrote, Acquainted with the Night:

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
A luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.

I have long time known that poem in my life, and I don't mean know it in the sense of being able to recite it... that I can still do. I mean I have lived it. But, no more, I guess I've had enough and it's time: past time really to try something new or different. And if there really is nothing new or different to at least re-acquaint myself with things I long ago enjoyed. And perhaps see if they will seem new and as fun for me as they did the first time I learned them.

All day today I've been thinking that I feel like Irving's character Rip Van Winkle. I even have “Dame” to garner support for my hypothesis :) Except my sleep was somewhat different than his because mine was self-imposed: but Rip was tricked into his slumber. (Also mine has been longer than his by several years... but no more!) I now choose to come awake. For good or bad until the day I begin that long sleep... you know, the holding your breath forever kind :) I have finally decided to change certain long held ideas of myself and strike out in a different direction. From time to time as things change in my life I will probably add a few comments about it along the way. For now though and for this blog I will say no more about it, and the next time I write it will hopefully be on a different subject altogether.

Any and all who might read this I hope you have a good night.