Saturday, March 05, 2016

BREAKFAST WITH A KID

Saturday March 5, 2016 11:01 am

I'm off today so I slept in and got a later start than usual. Anyway, before showering and getting ready to run some errands I decided to fix myself an egg omelet. I attempted to do this quietly and in semi-darkness as everyone else in the house was still asleep.

I had all of the things out and had put two eggs, milk, cottage cheese, Cholula sauce, and pepper in a mixing bowl and was preparing to whip it when Trin (one of my granddaughters) came stumbling in wiping sleep from her eyes. Her hair was wild and tousled and I had to grin at her appearance.

I stopped what I was doing and set her on the edge of the table and we talked for awhile. Finally when she was more awake and after she gave me a litany of toys she wants me to buy for her I set her down and finished what I had started... and poured my egg mix into a hot skillet.

Busily she started opening drawers and taking out odds and ends of silverware she thought I might need? Then, she saw one of my veggie "sausage" patties and wanted one. I explained it wasn't meat but I would cut her a piece and if she liked it I would fix one for her also. She nibbled on it... made a face and handed it back to me. Then she started a commentary on what I was cooking.

She began with the spring mix I had cut up with green peppers and tomatoes to fold into the omelet when it was almost done. She picked up a piece of green and said, "Papaw, why do you want to eat a leaf?"

I laughed and started to explain the difference between greens, cruciferous, etc. and very quickly I realized I was starting to confuse myself... as well as the big eyed four-year-old staring intently at me, so I said, "I'm not sure Honey, I guess I just like them."

To the cottage cheese she said, "Oooohh, that looks disgusting!" And the word 'disgusting' she draws out so it actually starts to sound sort of disgusting :)

Finally my eggs are on my plate and I sprinkle some shredded cheese on the top and I carefully open three small packets of verde sauce and I squeeze each one until they are empty and crumpled beside my plate.

Now, she puts her face very close to my plate intently staring at something, as she turns away she scowls and says, "Oooohh, that looks like boogers!" (Apparently she had been staring at the green verde sauce.)

In spite of myself and the fact that I have a weak stomach I still had to laugh as I said, "Thanks Trin, you know I still have to eat this."

I did, 'boogers' and all. Kids :)