Wednesday, February 29, 2012

HAPPY LEAP DAY

Wednesday February 29, 2012 7:43 am

Today I am celebrating my 15th Leap Day during my lifetime: what number are all of you at? I know... I know... I look for any and all reasons to celebrate (:

What started me thinking about this is that I was up before dawn this morning and cataloging and categorizing a lot of my old collectibles. I have been on this project now for the last few weeks and I am almost done: whew. (knives, stamps, books, coins, cards, old 78's with a lot of jazz & blues, etc. etc. etc.) After today all that remains will be to put all of them up for sale. I have started a Craig's List account and I just renewed with Ebay late last evening.

Anyway, I was reading through a few of my favorite old letters and wondering about the people from some of the letters: 1895 wedding announcement, 1910 letter stamped Chicago and from a homesick son to his mother in Louisville, Kentucky. A love letter from a man in 1933 Alabama to his sweetheart (?) in Louisville and he is pouring his heart out to her and wondering why she has not been writing? (On that last one I think I know the answer?) I found another letter from her to a different man in Ohio and she sounds rather sweet on him. I think I feel a little heartsick this morning for that long-dead letter writer from 1933 Alabama ):

I think the nostalgia from reading (again) some of these old letters started me thinking about those people with their real lives and real dreams, happiness, heartache, and all that goes into a life... and all of their lives are over and done and most probably has been for decades: so, better celebrate while you can and for any reason at all. Remember... life is short!

Happy Leap Day!!!!!!!