Monday, February 20, 2012

A LARGE SLICE OF HUMBLE PIE... PLEASE

Monday February 20, 2012 7:30 pm

For some time I have been trying to imagine some things I might do in order to try and change my life. Recently I have done a few things along those (life-changing) lines but those will most probably turn out to my detriment and not my betterment. Anyway, a few weeks ago I thought I might like to make a stab at college... seriously. So, I contacted a few in our area and I got their costs per hour and settled on one which sort of meets my criteria: close to me in proximity and not too very expensive. (Ivy Tech Community College)

I filled out all the necessary paperwork and received my student identification number and letter of acceptance dated February 14... my "born" day. (lol) All that was left was to go to their school and take their placement test to make certain I was “college material.” Again... me, college material: that is good for another lol!

I left work early today and took my test. It was divided into three sections: writing skills, reading comprehension, and mathematics... and in that order. “Good” I thought: I will save my best for last. After all, mathematics has always been my favorite subject.

I was given the scores on the tests immediately after they were complete. At the bottom of page one it states: Message for Criminal Justice Majors: that is me... lol

Writing Skills Placement Test: I scored 99. Wait a minute, how could I have missed one? I felt ashamed.

Reading Placement Test: I scored 91. C'mon, someone's cheating: I have been reading and understanding what I was reading for 50 years now... what a joke. That should have been 2 – 100's (:

Oh well (I thought) the good news is the math score is next, I probably aced that one! WHAT... WHAT... WHAT... 51 percentile! I hung my head in shame and crawled out the door and down the hallway and out to my car... what an idiot! 51 PERCENTILE! I don't have to take any special classes for writing or reading but I have to take either Algebra II or Concepts of Mathematics 118. I might as well buy a dunce hat and sit with the other dunces and class clowns in the corner of a room somewhere.

I tried to console myself with the fact that the last time I sat in a classroom (in a seat of learning) I was 16 years old and that was forty years ago. So, I suppose I have mostly forgotten everything I ever learned about higher math. Driving home I felt great sadness for students I tried to teach at Truth and Liberty. I somehow now suspect that all of the formulas I gave them were probably wrong and they have lost countless jobs trying to put into practice what I “taught” them. Poor, stupid kids... and all my fault!

Years ago I was watching an episode of Dharma and Greg and in this episode (as a married adult) she was going to college for the first time in her life. In this comedy series she had been raised by a couple of hippie parents who had their own world view and she had been home-schooled. Anyway, every time there was a question posed to the class she would excitedly answer. The problem: all of her answers were wrong. Her dad had taught her and he had put his own spin and world view on everything he taught. Anyway... that's what the poor, struggling kids under my tutelage from Hurricane has probably had to do these last 20 (+) years: unlearn what I "taught" them. (LOL) Somehow, in a twisted sort of way, that amuses me. I mean, I am sitting here and grinning as I type this part.

April is always the date to renew membership in MENSA. I'm fairly certain... WITH A 51 PERCENTILE grouping in mathematics I will not be renewing my membership with them. I just had a thought... I wonder if they can recall or expel a past member who turns out to be an idiot: that might be just what I need, a humbling experience. Well, truth be told: such an act, if they would do that, would actually amuse me to no end; seriously.

After my initial embarrassment sort of wore off: I trudged on and a few minutes ago (online) I scheduled my class orientation for this Friday. I can hardly wait to see the reaction of the 20 somethings who will also be in that class when I come trudging into the room on Friday. Lol

Of course, even though I have a student identification number and have been accepted... between now and the next few months when classes actually begin: I might come to my senses and realize it's too late in life for me to really do this. I'll keep you posted