Wednesday, March 14, 2012

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIRGIL!!!!!!!

Wednesday March 14, 2012 4:57 am

Eleven years ago, on March 14, 2001, my “best buddy” (Virgil) was born. We have been fast friends almost since the first time I ever saw him as a little puppy with his long spindly legs, an over-sized head, and such great character in his face! He was then, and still is today: simply adorable!

After I got off work this evening I was holding him and just talking and telling him how great I think he is and I was also looking at him with a critical eye rather then how I usually see him and that is with eyes of love. Even with a critical eye it is hard to find fault with him in his looks. His two little boys out back are less than half his age and both of them have far more grey in their muzzles than he does. It is true that his chin has a lot of grey hairs on it, but there are only small flecks of grey in his muzzle. His eyes are still bright and this evening I stayed home (rather than going back out) and played with him in the back yard. He still runs and jumps when I am with him even as he did as a young puppy.

I was going to write that I could only hope that I would look as good as he does if I live to be 77? But, the honest truth is he looks better at 77 (as a dog) then I do now at 56. I have noticed though that he sleeps more deeply... and my poor little guy is starting to lose his hearing. Deb has told me that she thinks he is being disobedient at times when I call to him... but I have tried to explain that it really isn't that. Unless he is watching me when I call for him he just doesn't hear me when I am calling his name; that is if he happens to be looking the other way. However, other than those two things... he is holding up remarkably well!!!

I get off work tomorrow at 4:00 and I am going to take him out with me for a hike in the woods: it is supposed to reach into the 80's and I am looking forward to this type of weather so we can do some fun things together again (: I pray Virgil has many more birthdays ahead of him and hopefully Virgil and I can enjoy several more trips around the Sun together! So, “Happy birthday” to my little man... Virgil!!!!!!! Did I already mention that I love Virgil a lot!