Friday, September 07, 2012

ODDS & ENDS

Friday September 7, 2012 2:21 am

Well, I have to be up in a few hours (5:45) as I am taking Deb to school. She watches the nursery for our church-school. Later in the day, she and Steph (along with several other ladies from church) are going I think for a couple of days to a "ladies retreat."

I just finished most of what I have due this week for my two classes of school work. I suppose I will finish up everything I have left sometime Saturday so I will have Sunday "free." (I just turned my hourglass over and started watching the sand fall into the bottom, if I do not begin to feel more sleepy by the time the last grain of sand reaches the bottom... I will force myself to lay down and try to sleep anyway.)

As I sit here and reflect on sleep and trips, and life in general I remembered a Rodney Dangerfield quote. (Of course, I didn't remember it verbatim... so, the last few minutes I have been searching for it on-line and now I have found it.) Speaking about his wife he said, "We sleep in separate rooms, we have dinner apart, we take separate vacations -- we're doing everything we can to keep our marriage together." That's hilarious, and even funnier than I had remembered it!

Bob and Tam and their family leaves in the morning for their vacation. Several months ago we had planned for this to be a shared vacation, and reservations were made and monies paid. Bob would have been competing in his third iron man and I would be completing my first. (I have done one "speed" one but never all three legs of it at that distance and at the same time.)

Perhaps foolishly I took on a summer semester of school work without ever looking into the number of hours that was required... and Bob has been very involved with the youth at church and the necessary training that is required to either compete... or at the least "complete" such a race had to be set aside.

So, instead of Cedar Point, Ohio they are headed to the "Arch" in Missouri and I am relegated to a "staycation." (lol) Oh well, I might... if any of the days are cool enough take Virgil to Brown County for a day. It is a nice community to walk around in.

I will leave any and all insomniacs who might still be awake to read my ramblings a very famous line from one of Frost's poems. My best guess is even those who do not like poetry will have heard these lines... perhaps though they would have no idea where they came from? His poem is entitled: Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening. It is a short poem with just a few stanzas and the last one is...

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

He was a great writer!

Well, I just finished listening to a sad song on my eye-pod (sic) and I think I'm going to turn in now. It looks like about half of the grains has already collected at the bottom of my hour-glass. I suppose they will continue to fall while I try to sleep. Of course, a deep-thinker might wonder if there is no one present to observe the sand continue to fall... does it continue at all? However, not being a deep thinker... the "deepest" thought I have in my tired brain at this present time is only this: If the plural of goose is geese... then doesn't it just make sense that a single Portuguese person should be called a Portugoose? I mean, c'mon... it just makes sense.

Goodnight all -- ST... ADLTBBB! (sleep tight... and don't let the bed-bugs bite).