Thursday, August 16, 2012

DOGS, FLOWERS, BIKE RIDE, WEIGHTS (and) SWEET TEA

Thursday August 16, 2012 1:41 pm

I like days like this! Earlier this morning we had taken Virgil and Stella for a walk, near where we live. Even though it was not that hot this morning I find that I am always taking him to places where there are equal parts shade as well as sunshine. The poor little guy gets hot rather easily now.

The last mayor we had... who I am happy to report lost his job, had torn up my favorite park shortly before he was voted out of office: so, I can no longer take Virgil there. Anyway, this morning we ended up in a field that borders some woods and it is an area that is not well-cared for and there is always trash discarded in different places. However, in spite of that there is still some natural beauty if a person looks for it. I saw at least a half-dozen different wildflowers growing in clusters on the hillside, and there were three that I recognized... I think? (Watercress, Cat's Ear, and Aster.) Deb thinks the blue flower was Cornflower... but, I think it was Aster. Either way, the flowers that grow wild in the fields of Southern Indiana rivals anything you might find growing in the well-cared for flower gardens of many homes in our town.

After we got back I had to drop Deb off at the church and then I came home to ride my bike: about twenty minutes ago I finished with a very quick (for me) 17 mile bike ride. I wanted to take a short break before I go out back to lift a little and I thought I would write. You know, I'm sitting here and just thinking and I had the thought that I can't imagine men who are retired from work becoming bored with their lives. If I didn't still have a job, I would fill my days with activities like this morning and keep busy doing the things I like.

Well, I suppose I am rested enough to go out back now... after I am done with everything I am going to reward myself with a tall cold glass of sweet tea, full of crushed ice! I hope all who reads this has a good day and is able to enjoy the sunshine, it's really a splendid day outside!