Tuesday, July 31, 2012

TWO ROADS... ANOTHER LIFE

Tuesday July 31, 2012 9:07 am

Life can change rather quickly. It was nine years ago today that I became a grandpa for the first time, Rachel was born... Happy birthday sweetheart! Today, nine years later we have 13 grandchildren. Boys in that lineage are rather scarce as we have only three: however, we have ten granddaughters.

There is one thing in particular in my life I have so wished I could have changed... it is my continual lament. Yet, I also know that if it were possible to change something in our past lives that it would also drastically alter the lives we are presently living. In spite of that, there are times that I drive my own self crazy still longing for that change. Then, there are countless times (11:15 pm last night for one example) when I become so torn in my own longings and I know what I would have missed out on?

I rang the doorbell at Steph's house (I had to work today and Rachel wanted her present) to drop off her gift. Through the small glass at the side of their door Hazel could see me standing there and she shrieked, "It's Grandpa... and Grandma is with him!" Once the door is unlocked and pulled open I have three little girls and one boy all over me, and a baby still in her mother's arms... reaching.

If someone who did not know the situation and was viewing it for the first time, they would assuredly imagine we hadn't seen each other for a very long period of time, as the greetings are what would normally be reserved for loved ones who had been apart for an extended time. In reality though... this is the same type exuberance which is shown every time I see the kids. There are cries of, "hold me" ... "let me show you this" ... Can we come over?" ... "Can I get a piggyback ride?" ... And when I finally really have to go, "NO... don't leave!" Then, there will be two or three of them with arms splayed out blocking the front door trying to keep me inside. And this is the same type of reception I get at each of the girls houses with all of the grandkids.

There was a movie called Multiplicity... now that's what I need! Only I would only have wanted one more of me, Keaton overreached!

I am leaving for work in a few minutes and as I am sitting here pondering my life I have just realized something that is true, in a sense there is two of me. In one life I have a physical reality and the life I am happily living at present is before me. At the same time I have an imaginary life and in that one I am also very happy living the life of the road I never travelled, and still miss so very much!

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood
and sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveller, long I stood
and looked down one as far as I could

Robert Frost began that wonderful poem with those words, and in a later stanza he could have been writing about me this morning as I sit here at my desk and type.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference

I hope anyone who reads this... has a wonderful day!!!