Thursday, August 09, 2012

THE WISDOM OF CHILDREN


Thursday August 9, 2012 7:35 pm

Kids are a lot of fun, and also interesting to listen to them talking... especially if they are not really caring who is listening to what is said.

Deb had gone to King's Island early this morning with Tammy and her family and several young people from the church: so, this evening after work I stopped at Steph's for a few minutes. The three oldest girls wanted to come home with me so as we were heading out the door Hallie asked me a question.

"Papaw, do you believe in the tooth fairy or the tangle fairy?" I certainly had heard of the tooth fairy, but the 'tangle fairy' was a new one for me.

"No Hal... I don't guess I do. But, what is a tangle fairy?" She explained that they get into bed with you as you sleep and mess up your hair. Well, even though I don't suppose I have ever met a tangle fairy I at least could understand how they got their name.

Hazel had been listening to this and in a 'big girl' voice with an adorable lisp she said, "Hallie... I don't believe in any of them, except I believe in God." At that time I suppose in Hazel's mind everything was now settled and she pushed past Hallie to step outside... but Hallie wasn't through.

"Well," Hallie said, "Do you believe in werewolves?"

Without missing a beat Hazel answered, "Well sure!"

I guess no tangle or tooth fairies for Hazel... but werewolves, "Well sure!"

I am listening to all of this and smiling and I look ahead at Rachel who is about three steps ahead and without saying a word she is just shaking her head 'no.' I guess at nine years of age certain conversations are just too silly to be involved with.

As I sit here and type the girls are in the other room and they are watching something on Netflix, and every once in awhile I hear them giggling... it's really cute. One more thing. At least for now... two days and counting, Rachel is vegetarian. It seems that the other night her dad brought home a baby pig, in a see-through bag, and a sheep's brain and one eye for one of his college classes. (They are using them for dissection.) I guess (for Rachel) knowing that meat comes from animals and actually SEEING an animal that it comes from are two very different things!