Sunday, October 21, 2012

SLEEPLESS IN INDIANA (:

Sunday October 21, 2012 8:06 am


I suppose dreams come unbidden? Perhaps it was nothing more than last evening I was working on one of my classes (Psychology... we are studying dreams) and I answered the latest email from my professor as we had been writing back-and-forth and discussing why we dream at all? (She has some very good insight.)

Anyway, I woke up this morning from what ought to have been a troubling dream and yet I realized I was grinning. So, I was off to my bookshelf and I found a small and unusual old book I own which has famous poems in it. There were two poems (in particular) I was looking to find. One of them I will only write a stanza, or perhaps two? The other one is very short and I will type it in its entirety.

Both the fable and the poem I am talking about are instantly recognizable by almost everyone. The first is, The Spider and the Fly:

“Will you walk into my parlor?” said the spider to the fly;
“ 'Tis the prettiest little parlor that ever you did spy.
The way into my parlor is up a winding stair.
And I have many pretty things to show when you are there.”
“O no, no,” said the little fly, “to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair can ne'er come down again.”

Of course, every small child who has heard this particular fable already knows the outcome of Miss Howitt's well-written story. I wanted to read it again this morning because recalling that fable upon waking from my dream was the cause of my grin as I awoke. It is because I had to ask myself one simple question. Am I the spider or the fly? (...poor foolish thing...)

The poem I am going to type is as famous for its brevity as it is for its importance. The poem is Bourdillon's... The Night Has a Thousand eyes:

The night has a thousand eyes,
And the day but one;
Yet the light of the bright world dies
With the dying sun.

The mind has a thousand eyes,
And the heart but one;
Yet the light of a whole life dies
When love is done.

(No matter how hard I try... and I really do try, there seems to be no escaping an inescapable truth!)

Before I stop typing this morning I would like to again ask that anyone who reads this and is saved if you would please continue praying for the person I had asked everyone to pray for in my last post. There has been some guarded improvement since my last blog... and we are all still in prayer. Thank you!