Saturday, September 29, 2012

EXERCISE ISN'T AS MUCH FUN... WHEN YOU HAVE TO?


Saturday September 29, 2012 9:14 pm

My car has been acting up for awhile but I'm not real big on fixing things just because a light is blinking on my dashboard? I sort of wait until they “die” on me before I do anything about it. I once had an older Cadillac that the 'check engine' light came on... and I did, that is I checked it and I could find nothing wrong. However, the little red light kept blinking and after some time it started to aggravate me. So, I pulled a fuse and 'presto' like magic... no more light. Problem fixed... right? No, wrong, because the fuse also controlled some other lights that I actually needed: like brake lights.

So, I put the fuse back in and once again I had to contend with the little red light telling me that something was wrong... but, I knew better because I had checked it and could find nothing wrong. Then, I had an eureka moment. I knew a way I could put the light out... permanently. I found a very tiny drill bit and I shined a flashlight back into the dash board until I could find the little miniature bulb and then I drilled through it! There, finally, my problem was solved, no more light.

I don't know how much time passed after I fixed my little problem but one night I was speeding up the Gene Snyder heading to a sales call when I heard a great racket under my hood and all of a sudden I had a rod shoot through the engine block... it was great! I guess the little red light knew what is was talking about after all.

Well, for awhile now I have had another blinking light and I pretty much ignored it also. And I guess with somewhat predictible and expected results I had to have my car towed home a few nights ago. The good news is that I think I now know what my problem is and I am going to work on it tomorrow afternoon. I am having problems with the catalytic converter. The bad news is that they want $1,200.00 to fix it and there is no way I am putting that kind of money in a car with 100,000 miles and one I have never taken care of in the first place. Anyway... tomorrow out comes my trusty drill and I am going to remove both converters (front and rear) and I am going to drill through them completely, and I will once again be able to drive my car.

The bad news... after I use my drill to fix my problem, and if I lived in a state with emissions testing my car could not pass if my life depended on it. The good news though... I don't live in such a state. (lol)

Now, I'll tell you what my title means. Whenever I am wanting to get any exercise on my bike the “shortest route” I ride is 17 miles. I ride this particular one frequently. However, I “want to” do that. Now, I find that the six miles to and from my house I am riding to work and back... I hate it! How can it be that I loathe six miles one way because I have to... and I never mind it when I am riding for fun and I go a minimum of 17miles... and many times much farther!

I suppose it really is all in one's mind. If you want to enjoy something you will... and if you want to hate something you will also find a way to do that. At exactly half way from work to home... there is a .9 mile part of the road that is entirely up hill. Now, to be fair it isn't a terrible grade, but there is absolutely no break in the climb at all. So, coming home that part of my ride is the slowest part and every car has to go around me, and when I crest the top of the hill I feel like shouting, and my legs are on fire! But, you ought to see me on that same road going to work. At the top of the same hill I am flying down the road with my gears set at three on my left and seven on my right and I swear... cars have a hard time keeping with me (:

I hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend!!!