Tuesday, September 18, 2012

IT"S TRUE... I"M WEIRD!


Tuesday September 18, 11:00 am

I had a realization a little bit ago when I thought about an appointment I have today at 1:00. With that realization came the “revelation” that I guess I really am weird. I'll tell you about it in a minute. First though, I want to tell you about a humbling experience I had about thirty minutes ago.

(This morning I had to go into the school to schedule a proctored exam for one of my classes that is coming up soon.) The main entrance that I was walking toward has two openings: one opening faces the front, and the side opening is on the walkway I was on. Once you open either door you are in a small glass cubicle and there is still yet another door which has to be opened in order to access the building itself. There was a young girl who was going into the front of the building and she was going to get there several steps ahead of me.

As I opened my side door I could see that she was standing there and smiling sweetly, with the door held wide open waiting for me! I wanted to say... “C'mon, I'm not that old. I just left the Y where I lifted X amount of weights and did a certain number of laps.” Instead, I grinned and simply said, “Thanks.”

Yeah... I'm at that age now where the young ones hold doors for the old folks ): When I was a young man I guess I never thought I would live to the age I am today... now I know why! After having just worked out I felt good and I walked into the school building briskly and with good stride: after that experience, I think I must have left stooped shouldered and limping: where is my cane? (I thought to myself.) Nothing like a pretty young girl holding a door for the “elderly folk” to just about make my day (:

Not only must I contend with the present knowledge that I am at the age in life when it is perceived by those who are young that I am no longer capable of opening a door for myself... but I also had the unsettling thought that there must be something fundamentally wrong with my thinking as well? Here was my “revelation.”

Today, at 1:00 I have a dental appointment to have my teeth cleaned. It is a scheduled appointment and I have them regularly. I have always tried to take care of my mouth and this is just one of the ways that helps... right? So-far-so-good... right? Here is the kicker. When I thought about my appointment I realized that I was actually looking forward to it! Now, c'mon, that's not normal is it? I mean, all that I ever hear from normal people is how much they hate the dentist's office. However, for me, I really like the feeling of my teeth and mouth as I'm leaving... and I even hate it that first time I eat or drink anything after they are so clean.

I guess it's destined not to be a good day ): Already having a young person imagining I am no longer ambulatory, or will most probably be that way soon.. and now this realization: I really am weird! I hope all who reads these few lines are having a better day than the start to my own (:

So, from all that to now I am getting ready to do a little work for school... WOW, this day is just getting better and better (: