Thursday, November 22, 2012

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, & ... TATTOOS!!!

Thursday November 22, 2012 12:37 am

Alright... everyone ready? I am going to begin with just seven questions and I need you to answer them for your preacher. It will be easy to answer for him because my questions will all be of the observable type. (So, this will be easy to do.) Before I begin though I need to state that this blog will only apply if your pastor has taught against tattoos for the Christian. So, for this blog I am going to assume that they have?

Does your pastor closely shave his face? If not... does he maintain a trimmed beard? Is his hair unkempt and long, or is it kept nicely trimmed? Does he preach and ask the congregation to observe all (64) Sabbaths as taught in the Old Testament? Do you remember if he has ever publicly commanded that people who have been overtaken in a certain sin needs to be brought before the church and scourged with a whip? Have you ever seen him at a church picnic eating meat that is known to you not to be kosher meat, i.e., without blood?

Now, I am trusting that you have answered those questions so I can now record the only place in the entire Bible that is teaching against “tattoos.” Before I record that verse let me also state that as a person who believes the Bible in its present form and in its entirety... even a single verse is enough to teach doctrine. Of course, we will be looking at all of the verses and teachings found within the entire chapter the verse which is teaching against tattoos is taken from. I will not be guilty, as some pastors are, of lifting out single verses from chapters in order to try and preach a personal preference or a particular prejudice rather than, “What saith the Lord.”

The chapter in question begins this way. Leviticus 19:1-2: “And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying, Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy.”

The chapter ends with this verse. Leviticus 19:37: “Therefore shall ye observe all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them, I am the Lord.” Keep in mind, from the first verse until the last verse (37) everything that God told Moses was to be observed. No one in their right mind would imagine that the Israelites could pick and choose which verses to follow and which ones they would choose to disregard. I will show you though that is EXACTLY what your pastor is doing with the entire chapter. (That is: disregard every single verse... except verse 28!)

Then, there is verse 28. Leviticus 19:28: “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.” (… nor print any marks upon you …) That's it... in all 66 books, 1,189 chapters, 31,202 verses, and 773,693 words... there are exactly six words which state, “ … nor print any marks upon you...” That, my friends is the sum total of what God had to say on the subject of tattoos. Again though, if that verse is relevant for today... those six words would be enough. Now, let us look at the relevance of Leviticus nineteen for today.

In order to do that I need to explain for any interested parties what I explained on my phone call of last evening. That is, there are three basic categories of Old Testament Law. This evening in my abbreviated study (I had to work late... ugh) the earliest writings I could find that separated the Old Testament Laws into three categories, “cultural, ceremonial and moral” were recorded from the third century. However, if I had time to search more in depth I might be able to find even earlier writings? Regardless though, it has always been known that the laws, precepts, and statutes which God gave were not necessarily equal: and, neither were all of His laws and ordinances to be practiced for all times and for all peoples.

I pointed this fact out to my friend on the phone, and he asked if I was aware that (as far as he knew) those three words I had just used (cultural, ceremonial, moral) weren't even in the Bible. Or, if they were he felt they were probably not used in describing the Law? I admitted I had never checked, however... I said that many words we commonly use to describe Bible doctrines are also not found in the Bible, yet the truth of the doctrines they teach are still there. 

Because he had tried to use my three words back on me... I offered three more for him (: I asked him if he believed in the Trinity, the rapture of the church... and taking sacraments, e.g., the Lord's Supper, or baptism? Because if he did, (and I already knew he did) none of those three words (Trinity, rapture, sacraments) are found in the Bible either! He said, “Touche'”

Of course, because I had more time to think on it today I also thought of another word that is often bandied about, especially in fundamental circles and it also is not found in the Bible... in any of its forms: legal, legalistic, and legalism. So, just because a particular word is not found in the Bible it is quite okay to use other words in order to be able to more fully expound on Bible doctrine.

For this blog I absolutely refuse to get into the argument of what constitutes the difference between “ordinance” and “sacrament” as it relates to fundamental churches. Because I knew my audience that I had on the phone I used the word sacrament because I knew his beliefs. (I am writing this part because I have at least one preacher, who also reads this blog, from the “reformed” side who holds that baptism is a sacrament... and I know of three others, who also reads this blog, and they would teach it as an “ordinance” … get over yourselves (: Let's pretend I only said that Trinity and rapture were words that are also not in the Bible. In that way none of you would have an occasion to disagree with anything I have written so far. That will come later :)

One of the best explanations I have ever read to help a person understand the three types of Law God gave was Luther. At least his explanation was the most succinct and easiest to read. “... It is to be noted that the laws are of three kinds. Some speak only of temporal things, as do our imperial laws . . . He (Moses) not only gives laws that speak of natural and true sins, such as the Ten Commandments, but he makes sins of things that are, in their nature, no sins… all those things that the Levitical priesthood deals with as sins—these things are not, in their nature sinful or wicked, but they become sins because they are forbidden by the law” (Holman, Works of Luther, Vol. VI, pp. 371, 375). 

(Keep in mind that well-stated truth: “... these things are not, in their nature sinful or wicked, but they become sins because they are forbidden by law...”)

Even a child, literally, or figuratively as in I Peter 2:2 ought to grasp the clear significance of that statement. Some Laws of God are immutable, forever, and applies to all people and at all times! Yet, there were others that He decreed which were only for a season, and (or) a particular people. Does everyone agree so far? If you do not agree with that last statement, and if you are a preacher... please quit: preaching I mean. Because honestly, if you do not have that understanding then you are most certainly doing more harm than good to the people who are listening to what you say.

Now, here are some questions that certain preachers need to be asked. If you believe verse 28 (speaking against tattoos) is applicable for God's people today... then why don't you believe verse 3 is applicable? In other words, why are you not keeping all 64 Sabbaths? In chapter nineteen He commanded you to do that, why are you being disobedient?

As a pastor... have you ever planted a garden? If so... once you are done taking out what you want for yourself, do you always leave some for the poor and the stranger among you? Or, do you do as I have often heard... plow under what is left because “... it's good for the soil.” Leviticus 19:9-10 commands you not to do that!

Preacher, do you ever wear suits and other clothes which have mixed material in them? If so, why are you defying verse 19... which commands you not to wear clothes with mixed material.

Pastor, who was the last person you scourged with a whip for breaking a commandment God gave Moses that is found in verse 20.

Pastor... are you honestly still eating meat mingled with blood? In verse 26 God commanded you not to do this! In fact, this verse was also brought forth into the New Testament: in Acts 15 so we know for a fact that even today eating meat with the blood (life of the animal) is sin! I didn't intend to go farther with this point, but I believe I will.

The reason that this is one of God's Laws which was brought forward and is relevant for the New Testament church is that God never wanted man (created in His image) to eat “the life” of any beast... only its flesh. Let me explain. 

Suppose you go to a surgeon and ask him to remove everything from your body... except he can't take your life. So, he begins cutting away: both legs, both arms, both kidneys (and he hooks you up to a dialysis machine), your spleen and appendix is taken, your eyes, nose, ears, lips, tongue, and tonsils all gone. Your heart is removed and a mechanical device is inserted where it was, your lungs are taken and you are hooked to a machine that breathes for you. Finally, he peels away your skin, at this point you look somewhat like a potato bug... yet, you are still alive! Why? It is because your life is not found in any body part... it is in your blood!

I mean, 8-12 pints of blood is the average amount for an adult human being. Lose just 4 pints... and you are in grave danger... a little more and death will occur. Why? Because according to the Word of God, the "life" is in the blood. Leviticus 17:10-12: “And whatsoever man there be of the house of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, that eateth any manner of blood; I will even set my face against that soul that eateth blood, and will cut him off from among his people. (11) For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul. (12) Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.”

Keep in mind that this same truth was brought forward into the New Testament book of Acts and chapter 15. This was commanded by the “Holy Spirit” for all New Testament believers not to eat meat mingled with the blood. Personally I would rather stand before God with every single square inch of my body covered in tattoos, then face Him having eaten a single Big Mac sandwich! Truly... I would! Look, I'm not saying don't eat meat... just buy kosher. It is simply that easy to keep from sinning with your food choices in this New Testament age.

Finally, ask your pastor why he neatly cuts his hair and (or) trims his beard? Isn't he aware that in verse 27 of Leviticus nineteen this is expressly forbidden? And if he doubts that is what is meant by that verse... ask him the following question. Has he ever heard of Hasidic Jews, and (or) many other sects who still follow Old Testament Law? Because they still follow the Laws of the Old Testament and particularly because of Leviticus 19:27... they do not trim (round the corners) their beards and neither do they cut (mar) their sideburns and hair.

Here is what you must understand. Always, and forevermore God's “moral laws” are for everyone and every age. But, many of His ceremonial or cultural laws were only for a season of time and only for a particular people, usually the Israelites. That is why in today's age we don't have to keep any of the 64 Sabbaths, and it is okay to plow your garden under, and to cut your beard or hair. And yes, get a tattoo if you want? All laws that were not “moral laws” have been fulfilled in Christ and done away with: unless, like with the “eating of blood” it was brought forward into the New Testament and is still forbidden.

Obviously, all laws do not have to be brought forward to be in effect... that is if they are moral laws. An example would be bestiality. Certainly it was taught against in the Old Testament, yet nowhere is it even mentioned in the New Testament. Yet, because we recognize it as a moral absolute, it never needed restated.

That's why the Fourth Commandment was not brought forward into the New Testament. And, of course, it is the only Commandment of the Decalogue which was not brought forward: because it was ceremonial and we are no longer "under" Law and we do not honor particular days.

To all of my preacher friends... you can not pick and choose and lift single verses out and decide which ones you like and want to practice, and (or) which ones you want to preach against. If verse 28 applies to today, then so does 3, 9-10, 19, 20, 26, and 27! So, if you still want to teach against tattoos and do it as “...thus saith the Lord...” then I am certainly expecting to see you begin teaching to keep all Sabbaths, quit wearing suits with mixed blends, stop shaping your beards and cutting your hair... and for the love of God... quit eating your bloody meat! By the way, the first person (besides maybe wanting to beat me for exposing your hypocrisy) you decide to scourge... please invite me, I think I might like to see that (:

I awoke very early this morning and decided to add another thought. Just because it is okay (in our day) to get a tattoo if you like, doesn't necessarily mean you ought to rush out and get a tattoo! I would much prefer my grandchildren not to ever get one. However, I refuse to use the Bible to try and encourage them not to get one by lifting verses out of context and trying to make apply for today what was only meant for a specific time under Law.