Saturday, January 12, 2013

VIDEO BLOG JANUARY 12, 2013

Saturday January 12, 2013 2:16 pm

I suppose there are many things in my life that could be considered somewhat ironic: especially in one specific area. What are the odds I would know someone affiliated with the group I am recording today and when I move away I would end up in a small town 300 miles away from where I started and I would move to the very town where the home church for this group started? Or that I would live between this place and downtown so I must pass it almost every single day?

(As an aside, in that it has absolutely nothing to do with this blog... but I am not sure if I should use Irony or paradox in describing the above paragraph. I actually do know the meanings of each word, I just am not sure which one is a better fit?)











The next video is at Eastern Cemetery which is just about a minute away from the church. I filmed the grave-site for the founder of this group.







I had only meant to upload these two videos but I suppose making a comparison between irony and paradox caused me to think of something else. Do you think there is a difference between being happy and being content? For me at least there is. As I was sitting here and waiting for the video to upload I was thinking about many different things. (According to MIT the average (healthy) person's brain has about 100 billion neurons connected to another thousand (+) neurons and each one is firing at 200 times per second: so every second inside our brains we have the capacity for thought at something like 20 million billion per second! In other words I had a lot of different thoughts flashing through my mind in the 2-3 minutes it took to get this loaded. Strangely, though varied in one way they were all alike... at least the subject matter was the same.

That in turn got me to thinking about happiness verses contentment. In another life I used to write Sunday school lessons for all of the classes in a church. So, I pulled out a box from my closet that contained a few hundred of them and I glanced at the titles and saw that I had written about contentment in a lesson from 1985. If I can be believed having written about something I no longer fully remember... apparently the day I wrote that lesson I was "content," for the paper I typed stated that I was.

So, as I sat here and wrote today I realized that although I have many times experienced happiness and even sheer joy... I no longer seem to have any contentment in my life. So, there is a difference between the two. The last time I ever wrote about being content was 1985, and the last year I ever knew contentment for certain was 1988.