Saturday, February 23, 2013

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEPHANIE, PLUS VIRGIL VIDEO

Saturday February 23, 2013 9:05 am

 
Our youngest daughter, Stephanie, turns 32 years old today... my, how time flies! “Happy birthday Stephanie!!!”

Well, I have a short hike planned 4 weeks from today and another trip after that which is only (nine weeks) 63 days from today. The way time passes it will seem like both dates will be here before I realize it.

I am going to tell you a short story about dialect and idioms and then I will finish this and upload my video tonight after I get home from work. I close again so it will be a late one... ugh.

Yesterday after I dropped Deb and three of Steph's girls off at church for their school field trip the preacher and I started talking and exchanging funny stories about people we know and how they talk. That is, their speech patterns which are exclusive to the area they were raised. He asked me if I remembered??? I did, it was hilarious! I want to tell you about it.

Now, if you are from or have ever lived in West Virginia, Kentucky, or Tennessee, then you will immediately recognize, understand, and most probably be fluent in “hick speak,” and this story will be one you have probably heard even among your friends, and (or) relatives :)

Several men were gathered at our church early one Saturday morning preparing to go out two-by-two for soul winning. Before everyone left there was casual talk among the guys and one of the older men (from this area) was telling about an upcoming family reunion his, rather large, family was having. He finished by saying that this event would take place in a couple of months. (The time this conversation was taking place would have been in the month of May. Believe it or not, that is an important thing to know to be able to understand the rest of this story.)

Now, the older (local) guy who had been talking about this reunion was Brother Hubbard. Also in this group of men was a man (Brother Randy) who had recently moved down from Michigan. Apparently, he neither spoke, nor understood, “Hillbilly.”

So, after hearing Hubbard's story he casually asked, “July?”

To which, Brother Hubbard indignantly replied, “No Brother, I'm telling the Gospel truth!”

Now, every man there, except the two who were now engaged in the conversation burst out laughing... the other two didn't even know what was just said that was so very funny!

Randy, hearing this conversation during the month of May had rightly figured that if the reunion was, “in a couple of months” it was probably taking place during the month of July: so, he had politely asked... “July?”

Mr. Hubbard, having grown up being proficient in “hick” had only heard, “Did you lie?”

To which he immediately said, "No brother, I'm telling the Gospel truth!” HAHAHAHAHA

I'll tell you one more and then I'll quit this for today. Not long after I had left the Hurricane area I was teaching a Sunday school class in a small church in Bardstown, Kentucky. On my way to church one Sunday morning I had a flat tire which caused me to be a few minutes late to class. As I was entering I apologized to the class and explained the reason I was late... “flat tire.”

Immediately after class I had Lathan's youngest daughter approach me, she was fluent in hick :) and she asked me why I was late? I (again) explained that I had a flat tire on my way to church.

You could see understanding beginning to dawn in her eyes as she revealed to me... “Ohhhh, I thought you said you were 'flat tired!'” HAHAHAHAHAHA

(Now for those who don't speak country, 'flat tired' means that a person is completely worn out! Country dialect is so much fun!)

As I was ready to post this I saw Virgil... again faithfully laying in my doorway so I thought I would record him for today's video :)