Saturday, January 09, 2016

ADDICTIONS

Saturday January 9, 2016 11:45 am

Before I wrote about this I wanted to be sure I clearly understood for myself what constituted an addiction? So, I went to that old standby... a dictionary: addiction, noun... the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing, or activity.

Now, I was confident before looking this up that I was on firm ground speaking about addictions as it related to the first two ideas... substance or thing: I was glad though that 'activity' was also in this short list of three.

Before I get to the main topic for this blog I thought I would offer my (probably) over simplistic reason for all addictions: unhappiness! I mean, isn't it true that drug addicts, over-eaters, alcoholics, sex addicts, etc. etc. etc. are trying to fill some perceived emptiness inside? Something to take the pain away?  Some way to enter into an altered state of being?

(Now when I wrote that above paragraph about addicts I am not including those people who become addicted to a substance through no particular fault of their own: e.g. a person who becomes addicted to pain medication after using following a surgery, or accident, etc.)

No, for this blog I am only speaking to those people who becomes addicted to something by their own choice: that is trying to escape into a fantasy world because of their own unhappiness, or feelings of emptiness, and they self-medicate with alcohol, drugs, or even an activity.

I want to write about the very serious issue among many people who have a Facebook addiction! I know if you are an average user of social media sites you might think I'm only kidding, but I'm not. An addiction to Facebook for many people is very real and as damaging to a person's health and welfare as is the drug addict looking for their next fix!

Paula Pile is a marriage therapist in North Carolina, and in writing about this problem once said, "Last Friday, I had three clients in my office with Facebook problems, it's turned into a compulsion - a compulsion to dissociate from your real world and go live in the Facebook world." Please reread those last 15 words!

Seriously, although jokes are made about this issue involving millions of real people with real problems this is a serious issue that needs to be resolved!

Naturally the addict never wants to admit to an addiction, and would probably be the very ones who tries to downplay why they got addicted in the first place? But, is it not painfully obvious! For myriad reasons they are just not happy with the real lives that they live every single day. Of course, the drug user and alcoholic are also addicted to their addictions for the very same reasons... trying to escape an unhappy life in some altered state!

Naturally knowing why people do what they do in no way addresses the core issue why those who are addicted are so very unhappy with their own lives in the first place.

I mean, I wish I could sit and just talk and patiently explain to those who love being on Facebook that it really is an illusion and chock full of liars! I use that last word with no fear of being wrong. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever posted a selfie on Facebook? If so, is it the first one you took of yourself? Or, do you take several and then select the one that shows you in the best way... liar!

I like what someone wrote... "May your life someday be as awesome as you pretend it is on Facebook!"

Although that is a funny statement the problem with those lying on Facebook (or any other social media site) is twofold. One, for those who spread such lies it shows a true unhappiness with your own existence and therefore you have to pretend you live a better life than you do. Secondly, because you lie you cause some foolish people to believe you are living a better life than you do... and that creates unhappiness in those among whom you are spreading your lies!

Many, many years ago before I ever had a smart phone I was daily on Facebook. One day I got home from work and as usual the first thing I did was go to my office and as I sat down in front of my computer I had the thought... what am I doing???

I mean, this was several years ago before my knees became so bad that I was limited to what I did. Back then and without Facebook I would have been out riding, hiking, at the gym... or even reading a book I enjoy. So, I quit Facebook completely and have never been back on!

I never even start a new television series (even if it sounds interesting) because I don't want and outside source making demands on my time and causing me to have to be at a certain place at a certain time... yet, I was allowing Facebook to dictate to me, so I stopped it.

Please, for any person reading this who has a serious addiction to some social media site please get some help. If not for you, then at least for the sake of those who love and care about you and your well being.