Tuesday, February 02, 2016

GROUNDHOG DAY (PART TWO)

Tuesday February 2, 2016 8:02 pm

(After this is written by me, and then read by anyone else no one will ever be able to say I wasted any of my time on this Earth.) Because I was thinking about Groundhog Day and because Comedy Central is playing the movie all day long on a continuous loop, I decided to watch it again. But this time with pen and paper in hand.

Here are some things I learned. (Before that though... in the background as I type this the tv is playing and an old episode of The Big Bang Theory is on and I just laughed out loud at something Penny said. Although what she said was not that bad in and of itself the double entendre makes it that I probably should not type it out on this page... but it was funny.)

Anyway, here are some things I learned about the movie. At least 37 times there is a definite day starting over. Although it is understood there are thousands of more days beyond that... the number 37 is the very least that is shown and there are probably more, for at least two reasons.

First, the scenes are such that I think it is virtually impossible to be able to say with certainty if some of the scenes are supposed to be all within the same day. Secondly, we have Dish Network and at one point during the movie we had a hard driving rain and I temporarily lost power to the Dish and for a several minutes I had no signal.

That fact aside, and in the parts I did not miss I also know he killed himself at least eight different ways: driving off of a rock quarry, electrocution, hit by a bus, jumping from a building, stabbed, shot, poisoned, and frozen.

He also took six months (4 to 5 hours a day) to learn how to flip playing cards into a hat. He learned to speak French fluently, ice sculpting, dancing, and became an expert on a piano and keyboard.

He did a little marriage counseling, helped a man with a bad back, and saved a diner from choking on steak. This was after he kept catching a boy slipping from a tree, changing the tire of elderly spinsters and tried several different times to save an old homeless man's life. All around... it was a busy day. In fact the only negative on his resume it seems to me is that he heartlessly killed Phil (the groundhog) at one point.

But, I think the very best thing he accomplished was he won the girl of his dreams... lucky guy :)

One more thing: after I wrote my blog earlier this morning I read where Harold Ramis (who wrote the screenplay) said he thought the time Phil spent repeating the same day was probably 10,000 years. So, 33 + years or 10,000??? Either way it's no wonder he became accomplished at all things :)