Monday, January 18, 2016

BRRRRRRRRRRR

Monday December 18, 2016 7:22 pm

Winter is finally with us... even if it's going to be an abbreviated season. I mean, at most we are really only looking at a possibility of six weeks longer and then we will be into March and about to start my second favorite season... springtime, with fall being my favourite time of year.

Last winter began early, by November we already had bitterly cold days with snowfall and winter hung on until March. But, this year we already have had an extended period with no particularly cold days.

Today I was off work and for the most part I did nothing at all. Surprisingly I actually feel somewhat refreshed as I sit here and type. Usually if I waste a day I am troubled by it because I realize days are short and really shouldn't be wasted. Because I feel that way generally it's hard for me to feel relaxed if I do nothing at all. However, today was a wasted day and I'm ok with that. Anyway, once more I watched Cast Away and realized again that Tom Hanks really is a good actor.

Naturally I personalized a lot of it... especially toward the end when he was leaving Helen Hunt for the last time and he told her the things he should not have done that first time. Because he now realized that back then, he did have a choice: now he understood that this time he had no choice to make, it had already been made for him.

I also like that movie because at the end there really is a neat scene as he stands in a mostly deserted stretch of highway and his future is completely open to him. Once again he really is free to choose what path he follows. It ends with a close-up of his face and he has a sleight smile beginning to form... I think that smile means we are supposed to fill in the blanks.

He could go north and drive to Canada, or the opposite direction and head to Mexico. (She tells him the other crossroad is route 40. I drove that road as a young man driving back home from California and taking the southern route. I drove to California on 70 which is the northern route to the coast, so... coming back home I wanted to change my scenery which is why I chose route 40.)

So, what did he do? Did he choose to drive back to the friendly woman whose package he delivered which helped to give him perseverance while on the island? Or, did he get back in his car and just drive?

Yep... a wasted day :)